Moderator Control Panel ]

Harold Carling of the King's Own Scottish Borderers Research

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Harold Carling of the King's Own Scottish Borderers Research

Postby Andyskaz » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi,
I'm researching my husbands great grandfather Harold Carling, born Jan 1881 in Middlesbrough, England. He died 25 September 1915 on the first day of the battle of Loos.

He was in the 7th battalion of the King's Own Scottish Borderers. His Reg number was 13696 and he was a Private.

We know where his memorial is, we have pics of it and intend to visit, we have copies of his medal rolls index card. But we can find no other information on him for his time during the war.

We also have no photo's of Harold at all! and was wondering there was anybody out there who has any photos of the 7th battalion of the King's Own Scottish Borderers? Maybe a group photo? or a photo of a couple of friends where he is named on the back? We would dearly love to be able to let my mother in law see a photo of her grandfather before her eyesight goes.

Any help on this would be most appreciated.

Thank You

kaz
Andyskaz

Re: Harold Carling of the King's Own Scottish Borderers Rese

Postby junkers » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:10 pm

His service record would not have been kept as he died, only those of officers were. There are the War Diaries (series WO 95) which are available from The National Archives (TNA), Kew, some are online or available as a digital copy from TNA if you can't visit, which might show what Harold was doing and where he was when he was killed. It is not very often that non-officers are mentioned by name in the Diaries and you may be able to find photographs at the King's Own Scottish Borderers (KOSB)'s regimental museum in Berwick-upon-Tweed and you could perhaps obtain a copy. Have you looked to see if the KOSB have an official history that was published.
junkers

Re: Harold Carling of the King's Own Scottish Borderers Rese

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:59 pm

junkers wrote:His service record would not have been kept as he died ...

Sorry - that applies to pre-War soldiers' files, but WW1 Service Records were kept regardless of fate.

I've just been trying to use FindMyPast to search the WW1 Military stuff. If I use a regiment of "King's Own Scottish Borderers" (looks like it might need to be the full title) but a wild-card version of the soldier's number, then one can find Service Records for people with a close numbers. Do not use a specific dataset otherwise you won't see if you've got the right parameters.

I started with soldier's number 13696 to see if I got the parameters right and it came up with Harold Carling in "Soldiers Died in the Great War". Which basically tells you what you know already.

I altered soldier's number to 1369*, then 136* and it wasn't until 13* that I found an entry in "British Army Service Records". This suggests massive burning of the papers round Harold's - they must have been at the centre of the fire. But
First name John
Last name Bell
Service number 13895
Regiment King's Own Scottish Borderers
Unit / Battalion 7th Battalion

survives in the papers. He joined 2 Sept 1914 so you can be fairly certain that Harold, with a number less than John Bell's, joined no later than the beginning of Sept 1914.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help