Moderator Control Panel ]

Identify ceremonial robes?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Identify ceremonial robes?

Postby judep » Sat May 31, 2014 10:37 am

We found these two portraits amongst some old stuff, but have no idea who they are, or when they might have been produced. We think there is a connection to South Wales, but that's not based on anything other than the person who had them. Can anyone shed any light on , well, anything?

Many thanks!
Attachments
UnknownGent.jpg
UnknownGent.jpg (241.34 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
Unknownlady.jpg
Unknownlady.jpg (225.58 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
judep

Re: Identify ceremonial robes?

Postby brunes08 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:11 pm

The gentleman could possibly be an academic wearing his gown for a university. However, I'm more inclined to think it is possible that he could be a Mayor of a council - perhaps a large town or county. If you know where they lived, you could look in the local directories such as Kelly's because they list prominent citizens. Just some thoughts. I do not think the lady is wearing anything other than smart clothes though. Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby JaneyH » Sat May 31, 2014 3:33 pm

Like brune08 I'm more inclined to think the man is wearing civic robes and not academic. The fur trimming is all wrong for academic robes, where there would be a fur hood/cape but not down the front.

Another avenue to pursue is whether they might be Masonic robes. I have no knowledge of this area, but there was an article about researching Masonic links a couple issues back in WDYTYA? Magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby ksouthall » Sat May 31, 2014 6:32 pm

I tend to agree that these could be civic robes. As there is no mayoral chain, possibly those of an alderman.
ksouthall

Postby judep » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:31 am

Thank you all very much for your comments! There are some aldermen/council members/JPs in the family tree, so it would fit in with it being one of them. If it is, then it would have been around 1890 - 1910, in Carmarthenshire - do you think this fits in terms of styles/dates of the images?

Thanks again!
judep

Postby ksouthall » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:59 am

The ceremonial robes would have been used over a number of years, possibly even decades, so I would use the style of beard and haircut to gauge the year rather than the clothes.

I have attached a link to a portrait of John Webdale, my great-great-great-uncle, who was Mayor of Luton in 1881-1882. The same robes were worn for the official portrait when my uncle was Mayor of Luton in 1990:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings ... 1882-48592
ksouthall

Return to Photo identification