Moderator Control Panel ]

Army Discharge Codes

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Army Discharge Codes

Postby wmiles » Wed May 28, 2014 11:41 am

I wondered if anyone out there might be able to help me.
My great grandfather Arthur Franklin joined the Royal Artillery in 1921. He spent many years with them serving in India until 1940.
On his papers, the reason for his discharge is listed as Para 383 (xvi) KR. I have tried to search the internet for this code but cant seem to find it.
Does anyone know what this code tells me about his discharge?
Any help would be appreciated.
wmiles

Re: Army Discharge Codes

Postby junkers » Wed May 28, 2014 2:06 pm

This is Army abbreviation for Paragraph 383 (xvi) of the King's Regulations concerning service in the Army. The number may have changed over time o you will need the version applicable in 1940 but if you look for King's Regulations it should be findable. The National Archives and possibly the National Army Museum might know what it covers. If you can find what the code number actually refers to then that should give you the answer for his discharge.
junkers

Re: Army Discharge Codes

Postby phantomsteve » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Are you sure it's definitely 383?

Discharges are more often dealt with under para 390. XVI is "Ceasing to fulfil army physical requirements" - basically a medical discharge

I think you need to follow the advice above and seek out a copy of KRs - they crop up from time to time on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
phantomsteve

Return to Military help