Moderator Control Panel ]

Anthony Adolph (brick walls)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Anthony Adolph (brick walls)

Postby Editor » Wed May 28, 2014 11:27 am

Editor
Site Admin

Re: Anthony Adolph

Postby Editor » Thu May 29, 2014 1:22 pm

Thank you to Anthony for coming onto our forum to help you break down your genealogical brick walls. If you've got any questions for him to answer, please post them here and he'll answer as many as possible tomorrow lunchtime.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby ksouthall » Thu May 29, 2014 1:58 pm

Hello Anthony,

I have a couple of ancestors who I can't trace baptism records for, as follows:-

Silas Gower - born around 1795 in the Hailsham area of East Sussex

John Shilfox - he was a tailor in Oxford. He served on Oxford council until 1735 and had married Mary Herne at St Peter le Bailey, Oxford, on 4 August 1679.

I have tried a variety of sources to try and trace their baptisms/christenings. Could you give me any suggestions of other sources available? Is it possible that they were baptised/christened under different names or possibly even abroad?

Thanks for your time,

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby Millst » Thu May 29, 2014 3:28 pm

Hello Anthony

I have been trying for years to trace my 3 x great grandmother, Ann, who married a British soldier garrisoned in Malta in 1808 aged 16. There are no details of her parents apart from name of father but it does not indicate whether the father was alive, in the army or what.

There are vague family stories that she came from a well known army family but I cannot find a connection and if this is true it must be several generations back from her (say a second or third cousin) but her marriage to a Sergeant would not suggest that her father had a good position.

Because of her age, 16, when she married, I imagine she may have been a daughter of a soldier serving in Malta at the time and that is the avenue I have been following.

Although I have found out where her husband originated from Army in Reserve 1803 records on FindMyPast, army records have not so far helped me with her family.

The only other clue I have is that her mother was living with her at the time of the 1851 census (but not the 1841 census) and gave her birth place as Ireland. Not much to go on here as I don't even know the mother's maiden name. Ann's first husband died in 1820 and she married again once or possibly twice.

My question is, what would you suggest I do next and is there anything you think I may have missed?

With thanks
Millst

Postby bobmacqueen » Thu May 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Hello Anthony
I have a 3 times great grandfather Robert MacQueen born around 1757 and living in London in 1792 when he married a Jane Naude on 12 May at St Martins in the Fields.

I cannot find any reference to a Jane Naude at all, no birth death or anything. The name is unusual and there does not appear to be any other Naudes around at that time. Could she be from France? Jane is an unusual name in countries other than Britain.

She must have died before 1817 as he remarried in that year.

Robert is describe as a Gentleman and I do not know what he did, although he did leave two houses in his will.

Thank you

Bob
bobmacqueen

Postby Anthony Adolph » Thu May 29, 2014 3:59 pm

Editor wrote:Thank you to Anthony for coming onto our forum to help you break down your genealogical brick walls. If you've got any questions for him to answer, please post them here and he'll answer as many as possible tomorrow lunchtime.

Sarah

My pleasure!
Anthony Adolph

Postby callbrian » Thu May 29, 2014 9:39 pm

Hello Anthony,
I have a puzzle to solve regarding Michael Tynan 1842-1896 according to his army records, downloaded from findmypast, married Sarah L Johnson 1858-1943 in Gravesend 08 May 1878.
I have trawled through various websites without finding the marriage. Have you any suggestions?
Regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby slyon68 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:39 am

Where is the best place to find a photo of a Civil War soldier, and did they take a photo of every single soldier in the War? Having a hard time finding one of my GGG Grandfather, John Stewart Cromwell, a Mississippi Sharpshooter, who was killed in action, 1864, near New Hope, Georgia and buried in a mass grave. Thanks for any advice.
-Shelia
slyon68

Postby steveharnell » Fri May 30, 2014 11:59 am

Thank you to everyone who has posted a query for the latest in the series of weekly webchats and thank you again Anthony for coming on to our forum to help our forum users.

Please do come on during the hour and post more questions for Anthony. He will plough through as much as possible over the next 60 minutes.

Thanks

Steve Harnell
Production Editor
WDYTYA? Magazine
steveharnell

Postby Kait » Fri May 30, 2014 12:02 pm

On the 1891 my grandmother (b 1877 shown as age 13) and her older brother (b 1874 shown as aged 16) both have "Cyclist" in the "Profession or Occupation" column. I haven't come across this anywhere else. Is it a recognised entry? is it because cycling is quite new and they want to say they can do it? Is it like people now putting "Jedi" on the census form?
By 1901 she is a "Nurse domestic" and he is an iron monger
Kait

Next

Return to Live web chats