Moderator Control Panel ]

When Was This Photo Taken Please?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

When Was This Photo Taken Please?

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:10 am

Hello,

By looking at the clothes and hairstyle, would you be able to tell me roughly when this photo was taken? The photo was in poor condition so I added the sepia effect to make it look more attractive. The lady is my grandmother and was born 1882.

[link=http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/Horatia/Picture23.jpg]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/Horatia/Picture23.jpg[/link]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

RE: When Was This Photo Taken Please?

Postby snaphappy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:56 am

working on the birth year that you have I would place the age of this women to be somewhere between 20 and 28 therefore the date line would be somewhere between 1902 and 1910. With the way that she wears her hair, I would suspect that she has it parted in the centre, drawn back, leaving the ears exposed to form a "bun" in the back or nape of the neck and this would fit with this date period as would the cut of the bodice. The sleeving of the bodice shows a slight lift at the shoulder seam and copies that of the "kick ups" that were in fashion between 1889 and 1893 and came back for a very short period after 1900 and could still be seen on bodice and blouse sleeving til about 1907. Her jewellery consists of earrings (can not make out in what form they are), a horse shoe brooch at the front of the neck and a string of beads, her neckline is high and she has a lace bow set to the front as was the fashion for the period.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:30 am

Hi Snaphappy,

Thanks for that. I tend to think she is about 20 rather than 28. The photo has always been described as a picture of her as a young woman.

Not sure if she would ever have had a bun. We all have fine hair in our family and aren't noted for growing it long but who knows, she may have had long hair when younger.

I like your detailed descriptions and would like to add further pictures for your perusal. Thanks again!
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby snaphappy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:03 am

Hi FHA,

My use of the term "bun" in this instance is a generic one whereby the hair was put up in either a bun or clipped in place at the back of the head. As a general rule women at the turn of the century wore their hair in a style known as a loose Pompadour style. The hair was drawn up from the front and sides of the head and was formed over pads which gave it more body and shape. It was then drawn up to form a bun at the crown, back or in some instances near (but not quite) at the nape of the neck, or as I have already said it was held in place by clips. The loose Pompadour style ran, in fashion terms, from about 1896/7 to just before the first world war when it was replaced by a much looser cut and style.

Put your other photograph's up and I will try my best in attempting to put a date line to them.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:36 am

Hi Snaphappy,

Here's another one for you:

[link=http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/Horatia/MaternalGreatGrandmotherAnnWaltersN.jpg]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/Horatia/MaternalGreatGrandmotherAnnWaltersN.jpg[/link]

This lady was born in 1848. Can you estimate her age from her clothes?

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby snaphappy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:46 pm

Morning FHA,

The leg of mutton sleeving with its enlarged "puff" at the shoulder seam and upper arm area followed by a tight sleeve from the elbow to the wrist area, as seen here, was introduced in 1893 and followed straight on from the "kick ups" period. This style (leg of mutton) only stayed in fashion for some five years when, in 1897, it appeared to disappear overnight (in fact, although it did disappear from fashion quickly some where still wearing this style for a while longer). Her bodice body is front fastening and has at least 12 buttons exposed below the bust line and would have about 8 to 10 buttons above the breast to the neck. These are covered over by the material of the bodice being folded and stitched with the buttons hidden from view (on men's clothing when this was done it was called a "fly-front"). The only jewellery that I can see is the brooch at her neck which seems to be of a flower. There also appears to be a ring on her 2nd finger (hand on lap) but I am unsure if it is that or a mark on the actual photograph. Lastly the cuff's, neck-line and bust line are all trimmed with the same material.

Given all that I would suggest that she is aged somewhere between 45 and 50.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:43 pm

Hi Snaphappy,

I just love reading your descriptions of these photos and I have a couple more I would like to show to you. I'll upload them one at a time. Hope I'm not wearing you out! I love looking at these old photos (especially the clothes) but don't have your knowledge about them so this is all very interesting! [:)]

Can you tell me about this photo, especially the clothes - this lady was born 1844. Again, I would like an estimate of her age by the style of clothes she is wearing. Thanks again for all your help so far. [:)]

[link=http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/Horatia/FrancesWildenneeAblitt.jpg]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/Horatia/FrancesWildenneeAblitt.jpg[/link]

This lady is the mother of the lady in the first photo I showed you (wearing lace jabot).

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby snaphappy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:23 am

Standing in front of a painted back cloth and in between a side table and rustic chair this woman is dressed in a loose blouse and belted skirt. Given that you have the year of birth I would hazard a guess and say that she was somewhere between 40 and 45 when this study was taken. I am basing this on a couple of things to do with her attire, rather than facial features (I am never any good at that anyway).

Although her hair appears to be wind swept it is in fact "frizzed" and at first glance it would seem that she has a centre parting however there is a trace of a whispery fringe on show. From 1882 hair fashions were yet again changing and the fringe started to become popular, it stayed in fashion brushed down over the forehead until about 1888 when it was started to be brushed back over a pad. Frizzed hair was still common after it had become fashionable in the last decade and this style was to last for a few years more after 1889.

Her blouse has full Bishop sleeving from shoulder seam to wrist and has deep cuffing. The neckline is above the collarbone and is not too high and she is wearing a crescent shaped brooch in the centre of it. With zig-zag dart's to the front I can not see any evidence of buttons running down the front which then leds be to believe that this was fastened at the back. The way that the upper portion of her blouse is styled gives it the appearance of a shoulder mantle which drops over the shoulder seam area to form epaulettes. Decorated with a gathered material, possibly silk, where the seams would be, it has two small strands of ribbon hanging from the front and at the ends of which are two spheres.

As for a date period I would suggest it to be between 1884 and 1889

snaphappy
snaphappy

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:40 am

Hi Snaphappy,

I could read your descriptions all day! I'm getting addicted to this.

However, you've thrown up a conundrum for me because please see this photo below which is the same lady as above. I thought this photo must be from about 1881 but she looks much younger (facially) than the photo above. What does the style of dress tell you about the period of this photo? I have a better quality matching photo of her husband which may help in the identification.

[link=http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/Horatia/FrancisAblitt6.jpg]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/Horatia/FrancisAblitt6.jpg[/link]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby snaphappy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:13 am

Kick ups at last [:D]

This picture appears to show her wearing a jacket bodice with kick ups at the shoulder seam. The sleeving on this bodice is full from the shoulder to the wrist and is tight fitting. "Kick ups" were a fore runner of the leg of mutton period and came into fashion from 1889. However they only lasted a very short period as by 1893 the Leg of Mutton style was introduced into womens clothing. Other than the bracelet that can clearly be seen she is also wearing what looks like a heavy chain about her neck area which would appear to have a circular medal (?) suspended from it. From the 7th button down on the bodice front can also be seen her chatelaine. Her hair is in the same style as before only this time it appears to be more styled.

Do you know if the photograph has been cleaned etc as the definition is unclear in certain area. Also are there any details on the back of the photograph (s) name of photographer for instance? as this may help in dating.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Next

Return to Photo identification