Moderator Control Panel ]

Genealogy on the Go Article June 2014 Issue

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Genealogy on the Go Article June 2014 Issue

Postby poppers » Tue May 27, 2014 7:37 am

I've just read the article in your latest magazine about genealogy on the go. You mention that with the Ancestry App that the downside to it is that you cannot search the Ancestry databases directly and that the App only views the hints indicated by the shaky green leaves.

Well I have discovered that if you select somebody in your tree, so it displays the additional information to the right hand side, then select "Gallery" at the bottom right of that additional information box, then select the link "find additional sources", this will take you to the ancestry site and will bring up any possible record matches for that person.

From there you can review the record and decide whether or not to save it to your tree. If you decide to add a record to your tree, it will then give you the option to continue searching on that person bringing up other possible matches. This functionality in the app which allows you to find additional records from the main ancestry site is great, as I have found that ancestry doesn't always find all the possible matches for my family members with the shaky leaf.
poppers

Re: Genealogy on the Go Article June 2014 Issue

Postby Jon Bauckham » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:18 am

Hi Poppers,

Thanks for the tip! I've just had a go on my phone and it works quite well. It's not immediately obvious that you can do jump straight from the app through to Ancestry in your web browser, so I'm glad you've pointed it out :)

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Genealogy on the Go Article June 2014 Issue

Postby warpo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:24 pm

As soon as I updated it the search function dissapeared. Obvious and immediate solution: I deleted it and reinstalled the previous version. I don't update now but at least my android app can search.

Not saying you should do that, just saying how I solved the issue. Really spoils the fun having a quick search on my phone while im in the car and the missus is shopping taken away because of an update.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
warpo

Return to Magazine chat