Moderator Control Panel ]

WWI Royal Navy Service record

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WWI Royal Navy Service record

Postby florna » Mon May 26, 2014 5:55 pm

WWI Service Royal Navy-Optimized.jpg
WWI Service Royal Navy-Optimized.jpg (143.63 KiB) Viewed 3703 times

I have just discovered that my Grandfather was in the Royal Navy in WWI.
I have downloaded part of his service record.
Can someone please decipher it for me!
I would like to know a bit more about him. Amazingly my parents never mentioned that he had war service. This was quite a surprise!!
Thanks for your help
Dave
florna

Re: WWI Royal Navy Service record

Postby g w aldous » Tue May 27, 2014 8:08 am

Not only did he serve but he was at the beginning of naval aviation, President II was a shore base, Daedalus is the royal navy aircraft engineer school. his rank on the record is Aircraftsman 1 & 2,
the record shows president2 being at c/ palace.
he didn't serve for long and in the margin it says Eng RA I think that is Engineer Rigger Aircraft, so he would have been trained to work on the bodies and wings of the planes rather than engines etc.
thats it really he didn't go to sea.
g w aldous

Postby florna » Tue May 27, 2014 8:46 am

Many thanks for your comprehensive answer. It has been a great help.
Dave
florna

Postby Phil Tomaselli » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:07 am

g w aldous wrote:Not only did he serve but he was at the beginning of naval aviation, President II was a shore base, Daedalus is the royal navy aircraft engineer school. his rank on the record is Aircraftsman 1 & 2,
the record shows president2 being at c/ palace.
he didn't serve for long and in the margin it says Eng RA I think that is Engineer Rigger Aircraft, so he would have been trained to work on the bodies and wings of the planes rather than engines etc.
thats it really he didn't go to sea.

He was discharged from the Navy on 31st March 1918 - because on 1st April he was transferred into the newly formed Royal Air Force. His service record with them (which isn't on line) is at TNA under reference AIR 79/2133/237113.
Phil Tomaselli

Postby florna » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:04 pm

Phil
Many thanks for your contribution. I have contacted TNA to see what they have for me to have photocopied.
Dave
florna

Postby cordley » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:01 am

I attach a Service record for my late grandfather showing a brief WW1 service at President II, Crystal Palace, Westgate(?) followed by a stay at Chatham Hospital and a discharge - reason 82. And no war gratuity, does that infer anything about his service?

This is all new to me - can anyone interpret this for me, please?

Like the other poster I had never heard anything at all about military service. I assume that since he was enlisted on his birthday that conscription had reached his age group.

191709 Lorenzo Williams Navy - .jpg
191709 Lorenzo Williams Navy - .jpg (238.69 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
cordley

Postby g w aldous » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:09 am

This one is much the same as the OP's, main difference is the discharge in 1917 after being in Chatham hospital kent, So probably had an injury that made him unfit for service.
Westgate Kent is just north of RAF Manston Kent and at this time was a Naval Air Station.
No war gratuity as he didn't serve abroad.
g w aldous

Postby cordley » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:44 am

Thank you. Do you know if there are any records that would show the cause of his admittance to Chatham hospital? And does reason 82 mean anything specific?
cordley

Return to Military help