Moderator Control Panel ]

C R Wright 1st Battalion, Dorsetshire Regiment

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

C R Wright 1st Battalion, Dorsetshire Regiment

Postby wmiles » Sat May 24, 2014 8:11 am

Hello
I have recently been lucky enough to find the service records of my great grandfathers elder brother Charles Reuben Wright who was killed in action during the First World War. They make wonderful reading but unfortunately I am not an expert on WW1 and am struggling to understand what part of the conflict Charles would have been involved in that resulted in his death.
I understand that Charles signed up for the Special Reserves of the Dorsetshire Regiment in March 1913, service number 3/6801. He was killed in action on 13th April 1917 and was buried in Savy British Cemetery, France. On his medical history record, it says that he became non effective by 'Killed in Action with B.E.F. France' (No idea what that means). :oops:
If any WW1 experts could possibly help me, whether you know the answer to my question or are able to steer me the the right direction, I would be so greatful.
Thank you in advance.
wmiles

Re: C R Wright 1st Battalion, Dorsetshire Regiment

Postby JaneyH » Sat May 24, 2014 9:03 am

I'm no expert, but I've also been delving into WW1 history as part of my family history research. First of all I'd look at the "Long Long Trail" website which contains masses of information about the Great War. Details of the Dorsetshire Regiment are here: [urlhttp://www.1914-1918.net/dorsets.htm][/url] You will also need to link his army number that you have to a particular unit or battalion within the regiment. This part of the Long, Long Trail should help: http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/findnumber.html

Second, you could join the Great War Forum (free, just sign up) and post questions there: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showforum=1 I've posted a bit on here and there are so many people with a real wealth of military knowledge.

Third, you could keep a watch on the National Archives website http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/first-world-war/ as they are in the process of digitising the war diaries of army units. I've had a quick look and there is only one unit of the Dorsetshire Regiment showing so far, but more are being added all the time. The one I downloaded yesterday cost £3.30 and was over 100 pages long: lots and lots of detail. I should warn you though that in the one I looked at it was only the officers who died who were named - deaths of other ranks were just reported as numbers at the end of each report.

Hope this gets you started!
JaneyH

Postby Millst » Sat May 24, 2014 12:27 pm

B.E.F. means British Expeditionary Force which was the British army sent to France and Belgium at the beginning of the war.
Millst

Postby brunes08 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:21 pm

Have you come across The Keep Museum? This is the museum for the Dorsetshire and other Regiments. Check it out on google - you may find something useful there.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby wmiles » Mon May 26, 2014 6:56 am

Thanks very much to you all, i will have a look and see what i can find out.
wmiles

Postby AntonyM » Tue May 27, 2014 2:10 pm

The war diary for the 1st Battalion Dorsetshire regiment is available to download. That should enable you to see exactly where Charles was and the circumstances of his death.
AntonyM

Postby wmiles » Tue May 27, 2014 3:47 pm

Thank you everybody, I downloaded the war diary and now know what was happening on the day of Charles death. On that day there was only one death of an ordinary rank soldier so that must have been him. The diary is great, so much information. Thanks again for helping me. :D
wmiles

Return to Military help