Moderator Control Panel ]

Mentioned in despatches - can't find the citation

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Mentioned in despatches - can't find the citation

Postby phsvm » Fri May 23, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm researching a Sgt Major John George Mainwaring, born Lincolnshire 1881.

From what I've found so far on 12 October 1897 he joined the North Staffordshire regiment in Lichfield and 3 months later transferred to the 1st Battalion, Grenadier Guards. From July 1898 until October 1899 he was stationed in Gibraltar before being posted to South Africa from October 1899 until June 1902.

It appears he was mentioned in despatches when he was in South Africa but I can't find the citation despite trawling through the London Gazette and using numerous spellings, permutations of his name etc.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks.
phsvm

Re: Mentioned in despatches - can't find the citation

Postby brunes08 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:50 am

I have just googled 'Grenadier Guards and Boer War". Lots of sites come up including the National Army Museum. You might find what you need amongst those sites. Hope so.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby phsvm » Tue May 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Brilliant. Many thanks. I'll give those a try.
phsvm

Postby meekhcs » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:04 am

I don't think the actual citation would be published in the London Gazette, just that he was "mentioned in dispatches". The war diary, if it still exists, for his regiment would be the best place to look. I suspect this would be held at TNA.
Sally
meekhcs

Return to Military help