Moderator Control Panel ]

Vivid II & D of Well2

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Vivid II & D of Well2

Postby Bath Bun » Mon May 19, 2014 7:41 pm

My great uncle appears to have been a stoker in the Royal Navy. I have a copy of his record from FMP which seems to show him being on Vivid II from January-April 1901 and then D of Well 2 from13 May 1901. The 1901 census appears to show him as a patient in hospital. The record also says he was in navy for 12 years. I think I can find him on the 1911 census back in his home town of Bath working in a foundry. Other than this I know nothing about this ancestor which makes me even more curious.

Does anyone know about the two ships (?) and where I might find further records. I have no idea why he joined the navy (he was a coachbuilder in the family business), whether he fought anywhere, or anything else.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bath Bun

Re: Vivid II & D of Well2

Postby ksouthall » Mon May 19, 2014 7:47 pm

HMS Duke of Wellington, a wooden, three masted, screw ship, was launched in 1852 and was the flag ship of Sir Charles Napier, during the Crimean War. It was relegated to harbour service as the depot ship for drill and accommodation, in the Portsmouth Dockyard Reserve in 1889. It is likely to have been used for this purpose until it was decommissioned in Sept 1903.

The ship was sold to be broken up in 1904.

You can find more information on Wikipedia, although I don't know how reliable it is:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Duke_o ... gton_(1852)
ksouthall

Postby Bath Bun » Mon May 19, 2014 7:55 pm

Thanks for your reply. I had no idea that this referred to Duke of Wellington. Being in Somerset I had assumed this was something to do with the city of Wells.

Do you know if there are any records anywhere that I could find out more. I am puzzled by the fact that it says he was in the navy for 12 years yet there are only two entries on his record covering January-May 1901.
Bath Bun

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Vivid II was an organisational base for stokers between ship-borne assignments. I think I found details of it in a Rootschat forum. And beware other assignments to ships - the assignments on those cards refer to the administration office. While a battleship would have its own office, smaller ships like destroyers (motor torpedo boat destroyers to use the original term) did not - the name would refer to the depot ship for the flotilla etc, while the sailor would be physically on one of the ships in the flotilla.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby callbrian » Tue May 20, 2014 5:31 am

Hi
following on from Kathryn's reply about the Duke of Wellington.
The following links may give an insight to the complement and although not giving your ancestor has a crew list for 1881. The second link has photos of the ship and some crew members.
http://www.angelfire.com/de/BobSanders/ ... ton81.html
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/d ... ington.htm

The following link relates to HMS Vivid. http://www.plymouthdata.info/Royal%20Na ... rracks.htm

Hopefully they are of some interest to you.
regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Bath Bun » Tue May 20, 2014 7:23 pm

Thank you for all your help and the links. I will take a look and perhaps it may take me elsewhere. I was surprised to see him in the navy and at this time too. My great grandfather joined up and served in the Glosters during WWI but otherwise not a military family. The story goes that he was very religious so whether this has a bearing on anything I don't know. I know this sort of quandary is what makes genealogy so fascinating but it 'ain't half frustrating!!
Bath Bun

Return to General research queries