Moderator Control Panel ]

My great grandmother Rebecca

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

My great grandmother Rebecca

Postby Devonbelle » Sun May 18, 2014 8:53 am

Please can anyone help me to date this wonderful photo of my Great Grandmother, which I treasure. I never met her but would have loved to.

It was a photo copy of the original photo and it is the only one we have so I am afraid I don't know what type of photo it was. However it would have been taken outside in her back yard at her house in Witton Road Aston Birmingham. I am trying to construct a family history from photos and documents and it is very important to date this photo but I haven't got a clue I am afraid. She was born in 1860 I belive and died in 1933. I do believe this must have been after 1900 as her grandson identified the yard as the one at the house in Witton Road and previously she had lived in Vyse street. However he could be mistaken as it is a long time ago and as she lost her husband and was the sole wage earner probably had to move around a lot.

Rebecca is a wonderful inspiration to us all, she had a very hard life losing her father at a young age and having a blind mother and two younger brothers she supported her family from the age of nine. Then in later years she lost her husband and brought up her four children alone along with her mother who lived with them. She trod the streets of Birmingham most of her life selling piklets from a barrow but still after all the hardship could still maintain that wonderful grin. I would so love to know when this photo was taken any help would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks Maria
Attachments
Rebecca cropped.jpg
This on has been restored slightley
Rebecca cropped.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
rebbecca 2.jpg
This is a picture passed down to me of my great grandmother Rebecca Williamson Holtom
rebbecca 2.jpg (36.52 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
Devonbelle

Re: My great grandmother Rebecca

Postby Victor Nutt » Sun May 18, 2014 9:20 am

I'm no expert but my wife and I both agree (so it must be right!), about 1910. Rebecca looks to be about 50 and the loose clothing suggests a date after 1900 and I would say, before WW1. Can anyone remember when she had two black(?) cats?

Victor
Victor Nutt

Postby Devonbelle » Sun May 18, 2014 9:53 am

Thank you very much Victor, any idea how it would have been taken, would ordinary people have had cameras at this time or would it have been a studio doing a visit do you think, would love to know how it came about.
Devonbelle

Postby Devonbelle » Sun May 18, 2014 9:54 am

Hi Victor,sorry re the cats. Unfortunately all that we know is that Rebecca loved cats, we do not know any more. I have another photo that we found of her younger daughter Ada we believe taken we think in the same location at the start of the war the groom was a medic and later died due to injuries, poor soul. We have often wondered however if it were then that the photo of Rebecca was taken. However the wedding one looks so posed and professional and they were in their best clothes, I find it hard to believe that Rebecca hosted the wedding in her everyday clothes. I find it more plausible that the photo of Rebecca was taken earlier as you believe.
Devonbelle

Return to Photo identification