Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 Pension Record Cards

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW1 Pension Record Cards

Postby JaneyH » Thu May 15, 2014 12:31 pm

I have just applied to the Western Front Association for a look-up of the Pension Record Cards for my great-grandfather. I've had an email back from them saying that despite best endeavours it's likely to be July before they can deal with my request - they are clearly a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

I must emphasise that the WFA website makes very clear the arrangements they have: the fact that 6.5 million hard-copy records are held in storage to which they have access just twice a month. All I am doing in posting this here is to flag the level of popularity of this service and ensure that others who may wish to put in a request have a realistic expectation of the turnaround time. This may be particularly relevant for anyone researching several individuals - perhaps as part of a community project.
JaneyH

Re: WW1 Pension Record Cards

Postby Sally G » Thu May 22, 2014 10:39 pm

I think all the historical military offices are overwhelmed - I applied for my father's military record from the Historical Disclosures section in Glasgow and waited a year for the information. Well worth the wait, but obviously researching family history is a long drawn out process.
Sally G

Return to Military help