Moderator Control Panel ]

Military Service Records for Edward J Lilley (WWI)

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Military Service Records for Edward J Lilley (WWI)

Postby eurogordi » Wed May 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Can anyone advise me on the best and cheapest way possible to locate the military records for my ancestor, Edward John Lilley, who served in WWI?

Having checked the new "Lives of the First World War" site, there are two Edward J Lilley's listed, but the information is limited and taken from the medal cards held at TNA.

To find out which is my ancestor I need to obtain copies of their full service records, but are these available online and, if not, what is the best way to arrange copies?
eurogordi

Re: Military Service Records for Edward J Lilley (WWI)

Postby brunes08 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:14 pm

If you have access to Ancestry you should be able to find the service records and down load them provided that they still exist. I think other sites hold them too. If you do not have any subscriptions to sites, then you could go to your local library to use their access or if you live near a Church of Latter Day Saints, you can use their facilities free as well as these are set up through their Family Search provision. Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu May 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Read the sections on research in the Long Long Trail website on http://www.1914-1918.net

Sadly between 2/3 and 3/4 of the personnel records from the British Army in the First World War were destroyed in the Second World War. Even if your chap's official records are gone, it's surprising what can be deduced once you work out his unit and number. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Fri May 16, 2014 8:23 pm

I understand that FindMyPast have now also uploaded the WWI service records (burnt records) collection. They claim that an additional bundle of records was located and included in their upload; these records not having been made available previously. Could be worth checking.
Sylcec

Postby callbrian » Fri May 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi
I'm not sure whether this helps point you in the right direction?
The two Edward J. Lilley entries are for medal card entries only on Ancestry, no service records.
One is for a private in the machine gun corps service no. 136836
The other from the Royal Berkshire Reg. Labour corps. Service no's. 25000 & 95652. Both received the Victory & British war medals.
There are a couple of service records for just Edward Lilley but without a little more detail from you, it's impossible to say if one of them is your Edward.
regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby eurogordi » Sat May 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks for the various replies. I've used the medal card entries to search the new archives that have been put on Find My Past ... but neither "Edward J Lilley" comes up. When I search on the name, I don't find any that match either (although quite a few Edward Lilley's are shown.

My Edward J Lilley was born Edward John Lilley in Highcliffe on Sea, Hampshire (now Dorset) in 1886 and was the son of William & Bathsheba Lilley. He married Mary Bertha Stone in 1908 and a daughter was born the following year.

There is a photograph of Edward in uniform with his wife and daughter, but it is standard WWI issue and there are no badges or service numbers clear enough to see.

Temptingly, Find My Past does has an Edward John Lailey listed as serving in the Labour Corps (273307) and Training Reserve (TR/13/73960) who was born in Hampshire in 1882. Perhaps this is a transcription error, but I won't know until I can get to a library to check the image.

Neither do I know why my ancestor would find it necessary to lie about his age if it does turn out to be him, although that is less of a problem in many ways.
eurogordi

Postby eurogordi » Sat May 17, 2014 3:45 pm

PS: There seems to be a birth registered in another part of Hampshire for an Edward John Lailey in 1882 ... so I'm now guessing he is the one on Find My Past.
eurogordi

Return to Military help