Moderator Control Panel ]

Military Service Records for Edward J Lilley (WWI)

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Military Service Records for Edward J Lilley (WWI)

Postby eurogordi » Wed May 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Can anyone advise me on the best and cheapest way possible to locate the military records for my ancestor, Edward John Lilley, who served in WWI?

Having checked the new "Lives of the First World War" site, there are two Edward J Lilley's listed, but the information is limited and taken from the medal cards held at TNA.

To find out which is my ancestor I need to obtain copies of their full service records, but are these available online and, if not, what is the best way to arrange copies?
eurogordi

Re: Military Service Records for Edward J Lilley (WWI)

Postby moshiksss » Sun May 25, 2014 4:40 am

million auxiliary military records to include casualty indexes, unit reports, some military pay records, and the medical treatment records of retirees..

MAY 2011 VISA BULLETIN PREDICTIONS
moshiksss

Postby DavidG » Thu May 29, 2014 4:38 pm

There are a number of websites (Forces War Records, Find My Past) that offer a pay per view service other than that you're looking at a trip to The National Archives I'm afraid.

If you could give me a little more information like date and place of birth I might be able to point you in the right direction.

I've had a look on Ancestry and there are a number of Edward Lilley's as they didn't always use their middle name!

David
DavidG

Postby eurogordi » Sat May 31, 2014 4:34 pm

The Edward John Lilley that I am searching for was registered at Lymington, Hampshire in 1886 (3rd Quarter) and baptised at Highcliffe on Sea (then Hampshire but now Dorset) on 18th June 1886. As this was in the 2nd quarter, it suggests that he may have been baptised very soon after birth. He died at New Milton on 2nd November 1947 and buried four days later at the town cemetery.

I'm attaching a photograph of him with his wife, Mary, and daughter, Ethel, which might help but I think the uniform is standard issue and it's not possible to identify any trimmings etc.
Attachments
1917c LILLEY group.jpg
1917c LILLEY group.jpg (85.85 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
eurogordi

Return to Military help