Moderator Control Panel ]

Celia Heritage (death records)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Celia Heritage

Postby CeliaH » Fri May 16, 2014 12:08 pm

JaneyH wrote:Hello Celia,

Could you tell me whether the death certificate for a baby (England, 1929) would provide me with any details of the child's parents?

My great-grandfather had further children after with a different woman after he left my great-grandmother, and I was wondering whether their child's death certificate might shed some light on whether my grandfather was actually married to this 'new woman' or not. The newspaper report of the baby's funeral refers to the parents as "Mr and Mrs" but I have never been able to find a marriage, despite extensive searching my me and other contributors to this forum. I don't want to order the death certificate unless it might tell me something new.

Many thanks, Jane

Hello Jane

Hi Jane
The name and (often the occupation) of the child's father will be found in the occupation column but there will be not usually be further information about his marital status. However if the child was illegitimate the mother's name should go in this column instead so that may be of interest to you. You need to bear in mind that if it was one of the parents who registered the death they may have portrayed themselves as a married couple to the registrar even if they were not. Hope this helps! Celia
CeliaH

Postby CeliaH » Fri May 16, 2014 12:14 pm

bjanderson141 wrote:Hi, how do I find a Death Record after 2007 if I don't know the county in England the person died in?

The GRO index is available from 2006 up to 2011 on microfiche at various libraries such as Birmingham Central Library, The British Library, City of Westminster Archives, Newcastle City Library and quite a few other places. I won't list them all here but you can find a full list on the GRO website (and in my book of course! :) These are indexed central just like the GRO index before 2007. If you can't get to any of the repositories you may have to hire a researcher to go for you.
CeliaH

Postby Editor » Fri May 16, 2014 12:21 pm

I just want to apologise for anyone who is getting an error message when they post. The posts are still coming up so please ignore the error message. We are trying to fix it but it shouldn't stop you from posting.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Editor » Fri May 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Hopefully the problem with the forum is all fixed now. Please feel free to post more questions for Celia.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby CeliaH » Fri May 16, 2014 12:32 pm

JanetMay wrote:I have searched for a record of the death of William Simpson DUNN (baptised that way, not hyphenated) who was born in Montrose, Scotland on 5 Mar 1833, William was the son of Alexander Dunn, Editor of the Montrose Review until he died, (still publishing today) and Martha SIMPSON.
William was a witness to his first son's marriage in 1886 and was "deceased" by the time his youngest daughter was married in 1890.
The 1891 census in London confirms William has died, and not just absent, when Sarah is a "widow" living with her oldest daughter.
I have Sarah's death and burial place in 1908.
I have contemplated that William could have died outside of UK within the above mentioned time frame of 3 yrs. Without a death record of course one doesnt find a burial.
I am in no doubt about the soundness of my research and have the necessary documents of census,birth marriage and death through the years & where relevant to the family.
At this point I have to say I have seen people in Ancestry who think they know William's date of death but I regret to say they are wrong.
Most of the information in my possession was passed down in manuscript form by my grandmother -who lived with me as a child - and who remembered Sarah.
I hate to say it but I think I have given you a problem. ;-)
Janet

Hi Janet
Although you have made many searches there are still other sources you can check. Firstly you don't say if you have checked the overseas GRO index (it does not capture all overseas deaths but is definitely worth searching) while there is also the Irish death index to be searched too. I would also check the Principal Probate Registry Index of post- 1858 wills (on Ancestry). If he left a will this is a quick way of obtaining the date of death which will help pinpoint the missing death entry either in the GRO death index or at a local register office. There are also many databases now available online where you could look for his burial and monumental inscription (there is a long list of these in my book) which may also provide the date of death. A good starting place with these is https://www.deceasedonline.com/, but as I say there are many other sites too. If you still have no joy then you need to consider spelling variant/mistakes in the death index. I presume you have checked under the surnames Simpson, Simpson-Dunn too even though Simpson was a middle name? And of course take a look at obituaries or a death announcement for him via the British Newspaper Archive http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ (also available on Findmypast)
Don't forget too that the only complete copy of the GRO index is on TheGenealogist.co.uk - this includes the many missing pages which were accidentally left unfilmed when the fiche version of the index was made and it is this which is (as far as I am aware) used by the other main websites that offer the index.
Finally there is always a chance that he was not identified at death and he was recorded as 'unknown'. In that case I am afraid you will not find him. Celia
CeliaH

Postby CeliaH » Fri May 16, 2014 12:36 pm

Here is a longer list of places that hold the GRO index up to 2011
• Birmingham Central Library
• Bridgend Reference and Information Library
• City of Westminster Archives Centre
• Manchester City Library
• Newcastle City Library
• Plymouth Central Library
• The British Library

Also the Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies in Canterbury has them up to 2009 I believe. contact the librarian at www.ihgs.ac.uk for details of access
CeliaH

Postby Editor » Fri May 16, 2014 12:42 pm

That's interesting Celia, I didn't realise that the fiche GRO index was incomplete. I assumed that all the sites were offering the same material there. Do you know, approximately, how many entries this affects? And is it a particular area or period that is affected?

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby CeliaH » Fri May 16, 2014 12:44 pm

Editor wrote:That's interesting Celia, I didn't realise that the fiche GRO index was incomplete. I assumed that all the sites were offering the same material there. Do you know, approximately, how many entries this affects? And is it a particular area or period that is affected?

Sarah

I don't know exactly how many but have been told that it involved many pages apparently Sarah. TheGenealogist went up to Family Records Centre many years ago and filmed the missing pages and added them to their index - so always worth checking their version of it!
CeliaH

Postby CeliaH » Fri May 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Remember that there is so much data now coming on line regarding death records that you can often use these to help locate those death records you can't find As mentioned above if you can't find a death in the GRO death index look at the National Probate Index - that will give you a date of death and you don't even have to buy the will if you don't want to (although it would be daft not to !). A fishing trip in the many on line datasets for memorial inscriptions and burials and especially the British Newspaper Archive may come up trumps and remember that these sites are regularly being updated so re-run your searches periodically.
CeliaH

Postby Editor » Fri May 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Thank you for coming on our forum today Celia to share your knowledge of death records. I notice there are only four copies of Celia's book (see above) left on Amazon where it has got great reviews, so snap up a copy quickly. And if you've got a Kindle you can pick up a copy for the ridiculously low price of £3.70!

Next Friday we've got Mark Bayley coming to the forum to talk about TheGenealogist.co.uk - so if you currently subscribe and have some queries about any of the record sets, or you are thinking of subscribing and would like to know more, then get ready to post your queries.

Regards and happy hunting!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Live web chats