Moderator Control Panel ]

same service number to several army men

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

same service number to several army men

Postby Flash Phillips » Mon May 12, 2014 6:23 pm

My grandfather medals are with me from WW!
In one box it says British War Medal Victory Medal service number 201353 A E Corrick Leic R
I know that this is the Leicester regiment. Around the edge is his name and service number.
In Find my Past I entered just the service number 201353 with no name
Interesting quite a few different soldiers different regiments all with the same service number HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN?? Of course my grandfather not one of them
Flash Phillips

Re: same service number to several army men

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Interesting quite a few different soldiers different regiments all with the same service number HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN??

Quite easily - there was no such thing as an Army number until 1920 - by which I mean that only in 1920 did the Army give a soldier a number that was unique across the entire British Army. See http://www.1914-1918.net/renumbering20.htm

Before that, numbers were issued by a regiment (or corps) and the numbers were only unique within the issuing office. The Leicesters would have issued the 6 digit number that you quote in 1917 under the Territorial renumbering scheme. See http://www.1914-1918.net/renumbering.htm But the same number might have been issued by any(?) infantry regiment. This accounts for why you see on Medal Index Cards, that soldiers who change regiment usually get a new number - new regiment means new office means new number.

And just to make life even more interesting, before the 1917 Territorial renumbering scheme, there could be several soldiers in the same regiment with the same number. For instance, number 1234 in the Cheshire Regiment might have been carried by one soldier in the Regular Battalions (1st or 2nd), a 2nd soldier in the 3rd Battalion (the Special Reserve), and 4 more soldiers, one in each of the four Territorial Battalions (4th through 7th - each of which had their own office). Potentially 6 soldiers all with number 1234. And if they changed battalions, they'd need to be renumbered - all except anyone changing between the 1st and 2nd because that was deliberately one series as soldiers frequently did that change and rarely the others.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help