Moderator Control Panel ]

14th Foot Regiment (c1785)

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

14th Foot Regiment (c1785)

Postby MoVidger » Mon May 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi all,

In re-visiting one of my stubborn brickwalls, I'm even more confused, owing to some surprising info I learned today.

I have been told on good authority that the 14th Foot Regiment were in Jamaica from 1782 to 1791.

In view of this, my brickwall ancestor becomes even more mysterious: why does his 1785 marriage record in Edinburgh (courtesy of Scotland's People) indicate that he was a "Soldier - 14th Foot" ???

Is his being a soldier 'wishful thinking' on his part, or was he simply on a lengthy AWOL at the time of his marriage? Other than his marriage record, I have no birth or death details for him.

Any suggestions or info provided will be much appreciated!

Thanks, Mo
MoVidger

Re: 14th Foot Regiment (c1785)

Postby g w aldous » Mon May 12, 2014 5:18 pm

g w aldous

Postby junkers » Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 pm

The fact that a regiment was in a certain place does not always mean that everyone was there, others may have been on leave. Did the marriage occur in Edinburgh as Scotland's People do have some records of Scottish soldiers that were held separately and Army chaplains did have their own records of events overseas (see findmypast).
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:45 pm

In summary (thanks to the two previous posters) then:
  • The regiment was in Britain or Europe c1785 (source - Wikipedia);
  • They were posted to the West Indies 1795-1803 (source - Wikipedia);
  • Even when they were posted abroad, there might be headquarters companies in Britain. Google Books contains editions of something called the "The United Service Journal", which gives dispositions of regiments, including where the HQ companies are. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to go anywhere near that date.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Mon May 12, 2014 9:12 pm

The pay lists/muster rolls at The National Archives (WO 12/3118) would confirm where he was at the time, there may also be a service record in WO 97 but we would need to know the name to identify it.
junkers

Postby MoVidger » Tue May 13, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks Junkers, AdrianB38 and gw aldous for your replies. With my mystery ancestor, I have found that Wikipedia sources have never been helpful. The specific details I require tend to be vague or inconsistent with the other, particularly when it comes to Wiki military pages.

When I learned the 14th Foot Regiment were based in Jamaica from 1782 to 1791, this was confirmed by two separate sources: a history of the 14th Foot (published in 1845), and the Prince of Wales’s Own Regiment of Yorkshire (PWO) Museum, which also contains information regarding antecedent regiments (e.g. 14th & 15th Foot regiments). The 1845 book was particularly helpful and goes into interesting detail regarding the 14th's time in Jamaica for those 9 years.

The book indicates nothing about the 14th Foot being in Scotland in the late 18th-century. So why my ancestor claimed to be a 14th Foot soldier, whilst marrying in Edinburgh, is very confusing.

Junkers - yes, the 1785 marriage record was courtesy of Scotland's People. I've not been able to find any other records for him on SP, though.

His name was John Worrell (Worral), but I've no idea where or when he was born or died. And so searching for military records will be difficult without knowing his birthdate or birthplace. All I know is he married a Hannah Hume (in Edinburgh) and they had a son named John.

Unfortunately there is no birth listing for their son John on SP, but I've been able to trace his marriage and death records on SP, as well as his family in the 1841 and 1851 census. He married in Errol and later moved the family to Dundee.

On son John's his 1860 death record, his father's occupation was listed as "games-keeper". This is a bit odd, considering John's male descendants were all plasterers until 1917.

It's been a few years since I've searched for John Worrell on SP. I'll give it another go (in case any new records have been added), but am not feeling too hopeful.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Tue May 13, 2014 11:15 am

I've justed re-checked the online SP image for my ancestor's marriage -- and need to offer a sincere apology! The image indicates "Soldier 24th Reg of Foot Castle of Edinb" :oops:

When I initially printed the image several years ago, it was very faint and blurred, and 24th looked like 14th...honestly! And given that my eyesight is problematic, I do struggle to read documents like these.

So again, apologies to all for any confusion caused with my mis-reading the image.

So now I'm off to research the 24th Foot Reg and the Edinburgh Castle connection circa 1785.

Mo
MoVidger

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Phew!

Mind you we do seem to have hit on a Wikipedia issue. ...

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Tue May 13, 2014 8:34 pm

I think I have found his service record (WO 121/99/97) on The National Archives website and that he was born in Derbyshire. The WO 121 records do not have much information unlike the pension records in WO 97. The page can be downloaded from findmypast.
junkers

Postby MoVidger » Wed May 14, 2014 2:14 pm

Junkers - many thanks for the TNA service record find. Several years ago I did see a reference to this John Worrell/Worrall from Hayfield Derbyshire, but couldn't manage to take the research any further (other than his 1750 christening record on FamilySearch.org).

Before I shell out for more credits for Find My Past, is his FMP service record any different from the TNA record? If it has the same info (nothing else), then I'll hold off on buying more FYP credits. Out of interest, which Event Year designates the John Worrell in question? (There are quite JW's when the search results display).

AdrianB38 - I've no quarrels at all with Wiki military pages. It's just that the various details I seem to require are frustratingly "incomplete" or certain decades of service are briefly mentioned, if at all. But we can't have everything. :)

As I have a lot of military folk (US and UK) in my family tree, my first port of call is to ascertain if there's any published history on the regiment in question. I find these books (if available) provide the specific details I'm looking for, particularly when I'm trying to put together a timeline of service for my trickier military ancestors. (Plus I worked in research libraries for many years).
MoVidger

Next

Return to Military help