Moderator Control Panel ]

14th Foot Regiment (c1785)

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: 14th Foot Regiment (c1785)

Postby Millst » Fri May 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Regimental websites etc are a guide but I find the Muster records at Kew invaluable. At least you get the exact details of your own ancestor. If you had the time, you could research where they were each month of every year. You get all sorts of details, their rank, whether they were ill or wounded, although it is very time consuming and not very convenient to research. Researching even a few musters gives you a better understanding of what was happening.

The website of the regiment I was researching has a very good story of a soldier in the Napoleonic wars. However, as one battalion was recruiting around England and Ireland whilst the other was on garrison duty in the Med., both battalions fought at different times in the Peninsular, then one went to Canada, it does not follow at all what my ancestor was doing.
Millst

Re: 14th Foot Regiment (c1785)

Postby junkers » Fri May 23, 2014 4:08 pm

The WO 121 documents at TNA cover 1778 - 1809 and the FMP records for this series are actually TNA's records.
junkers

Previous

Return to Military help