Moderator Control Panel ]

Alfred Edward Corrick born 23 March 1886

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Alfred Edward Corrick born 23 March 1886

Postby Flash Phillips » Mon May 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Alfred Edward Corrick born 23 March 1886 in Heigham Norfolk
Served WW1 as Private A E Corrick s/n 201353 in Leicester regiment. I Have his WW1 medals with his s/no and name thereon.
I contacted Leicester regiment who asked for his battalion number . The whole point of contacting them was to get all his data they had.
I subscibe to Find my past and he's not listed. I accessed Ancestry through the Library also no data there either. In 1911 census he is listed as a Butler in West End of London so I have no idea why he was in the Leicesters ?? He died in Kent in May 1977.
Any help or directions would be appreciated.
Flash Phillips

Re: Alfred Edward Corrick born 23 March 1886

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:38 pm

As you said that you couldn't find him in Ancestry, I went to The National Archives search engine first. See http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

I wondered if his surname might be mis-spelled on the original, so went for a search on the number first. Nope. I tried various combinations and then, suspecting the medals might have been engraved incorrectly (it happens) went for this combination
    Regimental number - 20135* (note the wildcard)
    Corps - leicestershire
My idea was to pick up all regimental numbers starting with 20135, then 201350, etc.. And there he was
    Medal card of Corrick, Alfred E
    Corps Regiment No Rank
    Leicestershire Regiment 4725 Private
    Leicestershire Regiment 20135 Private

Except the story doesn't end there.... This gives me his name - spelled correctly. When I go to Ancestry and search in the Medal Index Cards for Alfred Corrick, this is their result:
    Name: Alfred E Corrick
    Regiment or Corps: Leicestershire Regiment, Leicestershire Regiment
    Regimental Number: 4725, 201353

And the image of the MIC confirms this 6 digit number. So, for once Ancestry indexed better than TNA.

What we learn from the Ancestry card is:
  • He first went abroad after the end of 1915 (no Star);
  • He first went abroad for the Leicesters carrying his 4725 number (details on MICs refer only to service abroad);
  • He was later renumbered 201353 in the Leicesters (6 digits numbers were allocated some time in 1917);
  • Leicester's 201353 was allocated to the 4th battalion;
  • This means he was in the 4th at the renumbering in 1917 - he could have moved battalion after that renumbering;
  • There were three 4th battalions in the Leicesters - 1/4th, 2/4th, 3/4th (see http://www.1914-1918.net/leicesters.htm). Only the first two were ever in France. Because the 2/4th didn't get out there until Feb 1917, it is marginally more likely he was in the 1/4th;
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:41 pm

As for why he was in the Leicesters, there are various possibilities ranging from him having a mate in that regiment to a shortage of soldiers in that regiment leading to them "advertising" more - and when conscription came in, you went where you were sent.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:07 pm

In the absence of surviving personnel papers for him, the usual tactic is to try and find in Ancestry's British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920, surviving records for people with a number close to him. I tried 201353 and got nowhere. I then tried his earlier number 4725 and struck lucky with this combination:
    Keyword 472* (note - keyword, not regimental number and note wild-card)
    Regiment name Leicestershire
Other combinations might work....

Among the results (you have to check each), I found this one:
    Name: Thomas Crewe
    Residence: 12 Brierley St, Leicester
    Regimental Number: 4727
    Regiment Name: Battalion Leicestershire Regiment
    Number of Images: 20
This chap enlisted into the 4th Leicesters (what we want) on 27 April 1915 (See "Statement of Services" image). We need him to be in the 4th because the numbers might also be used in other battalions. Alfred was allocated 4725 in (we assume) the 4th - because he was in the 4th in 1917. Thomas was allocated 4727 in the 4th. Clerks allocate stuff in sequence. We can therefore say that if Alfred was always in the 4th, then he joined it in about April 1915.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Flash Phillips » Wed May 14, 2014 7:18 am

Thanks terribly for all help
Still confusing about Service number
I just put in the service number 201353 with no other data and at least 6 soldiers appeared from different regiments all with this number
How can this be.?
Will I get any more data armed with all the data supplied to me by visiting Kew ??
Flash Phillips

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:00 am

Flash Phillips wrote:... I just put in the service number 201353 with no other data and at least 6 soldiers appeared from different regiments all with this number - How can this be.?

Even at 1917, numbers in the Army were not allocated to be unique across the Army, but (at best) only unique inside a regiment. This is because they were allocated by a "regimental" office, not by a central office, so it was probably impossible to assign anyone a number that was unique across the Army in the Victorian era. In the infantry, number 1234 would have been allocated by every single regiment to one (or more) of its soldiers - though perhaps not in all regiments at the same time. At 1917, a lot of the duplication inside regiments was tidied up by renumbering the Territorials.

At 1917, block 200001 to 240000 was used by the 4th battalion(s) of the Leicesters. But the same block was also used by the 5th battalion(s) of the Lancashire Fusiliers, the 4th battalion(s) of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, etc. No attempt would / could be made to avoid duplication between regiments.

If you were 201353, you actually had to tell someone you were 201353 of the Leicesters as there could be a 201353 in the KOYLI, the Lancs Fusiliers, etc.

(I suspect there were still cases where some numbers could be duplicated inside a regiment after 1917).

Flash Phillips wrote:Will I get any more data armed with all the data supplied to me by visiting Kew ??
If you can't find him in Ancestry's Burnt Records or Pension Records then there is little chance of him appearing in any other records. Not impossible - e.g. - Kew has some other pension records - but you need to be pretty adept to know what you're looking for. Kew would have War Diaries so you would know what the Leicesters were doing. Have a look at that http://www.1914-1918.net/ first to understand what might be held where. Regimental museums might have something but they tend not to have personnel records.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help