Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 - service under different name

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW1 - service under different name

Postby leeg » Tue May 06, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi
I wonder if anyone would know why or even how somene could serve under a different surname during ww1.

My great grandfather Edward Joshua Jones(b 1891 , Glamorgan) has his service record under the name of Edward Price (8606). This service number is confirmed by the Absent Voters list of 1918 but under the name of Edward Joshua Jones, the name he was born and married under.
However, when he died at the royal star and garter in 1974 his name was once again Edward Joshua Price giving the same service number again

Your help would be much appreciated
THanks
Lee
leeg

Re: WW1 - service under different name

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:10 pm

As far as I know, there was no need to provide birth certificates, etc, so you could call yourself what you wanted. Why? Well, lots of possibilities ranging from needing to disappear to someone who simply didn't like their birth name.

Just one thing you need to be wary of - serial numbers in the British army in the Great War were not unique - not even within a regiment. I suspect you may have enough evidence to be certain that it's the same guy, but be aware of this. There *would* be only one chap with that number in the battalion.

Where he might get caught out would be the Absent Voters List. That would, I'm thinking, be compiled by the people at home so would use his birth name with army address details from him. I think. When the postal vote arrived at the battalion, the Army might ask questions about this envelope addressed to someone they had no details of. Or they might be used to that sort of thing!

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:36 am

It may not be the case in this instance but I offer this as a suggestion. One of my gt gt grandfathers was illegitimate and baptised as such. When about 2years old, his mother married. From then on, he used his mother's and his step-father's surnames on different documents, such as census returns and marriage certificates and for his children's births. You no doubt have his birth certificate but another possibility could be that he was adopted. Hope that helps a little.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby Yvonne Wooster » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi, .

My daughter has just drawn my attention to this page. I can confirm that I am the daughter of Edward Joshua Price (nee Jones) who died in the Star and Garter, Richmond, in 1974. I was born in 1945, but unfortunately my parents separated when I was a baby and although I met my father on several occasions I never really got to know him well - he had advanced parkinsons disease in his final years. At his funeral I met my cousin Douglas Jones - are you his grandson?

I was told that my father's parents died when he was very young, and that he was brought up by his uncle and aunt, but that he ran away to sea when he was only about 14. This can be verified because some of his memoirs were published by the Star & Garter magazine, and I have a copy. If his uncle and aunt had the name Price, this would explain why his name was changed.

I hope that you get this message, and I would like to hear from you, since I am not in touch with any relatives on my father's side since my cousin Douglas died a few years ago.

Yvonne Wooster(nee Price)
Yvonne Wooster

Postby leeg » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi Yvonne, i have sent you a personal message but you can contact me on leegartland@outlook.com
Thanks, Lee
leeg

Return to Military help