Moderator Control Panel ]

Absent Voters Lists

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Absent Voters Lists

Postby BrianC48 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:44 am

Sorry if this is not the correct forum to post my question.

Page 61 of Issue 86 gives information about where to find the records for absent military voters.

I have looked at The Long Trail website and clicked the link for Kent under Lists known to be available for purchase or pay-per-view, which came back with an error message "HTTP 404 Not Found"

I have tried to find the absent voters lists on Ancestry.co.uk, "which covers Ashford, Birmingham, Dorset, Kent and St Helens" but have not been able to find them, my subscription to ancestry is a Annual Premium membership.

Can anybody please help me with how to find the absent voters lists on line, I have a number of soldiers that I would like to find for the 1918 vote. If the only way to find them is via TNA could you let me know how to do this.

Thanks, Brian C
BrianC48

Re: Absent Voters Lists

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:55 pm

For Kent it looks like the same stuff may be on:
http://www.brickwallresearch.co.uk/our_publications.htm
At least, the compiler is the same name.

The Ancestry reference is only to Birmingham. This presumably refers to the collection "Midlands, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1955", which apparently has absent voters in.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:58 pm

Forgot - to the best of my knowledge, the place to go for all electoral registers is the British Library, not TNA. I found some listings on the BL site about Electoral Registers that mentioned some AVLs - but coverage was not wide.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby BrianC48 » Fri May 09, 2014 2:05 pm

Adrian

Thanks for your reply.

I had a look at the brickwallresearch website, which does not cover the area my ancestors came from.

I will have a look at the British Library to see if I can find my soldier and other ancestors.

Kind regards

Brian
BrianC48

Postby JaneyH » Fri May 09, 2014 5:28 pm

I recently enquired about Absent Voter Lists for Gloucestershire as part of the research into my great-grandfather, whose alleged war service is proving difficult to pin down.

Gloucestershire Archives kindly emailed me back to say that the separate registers for absent voters for 1918 for Gloucestershire have not survived. They did, however, note that the names of servicemen were often included in the main registers and marked as 'absent' but with no further details given.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby BrianC48 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:49 am

Dear JaneyH.

Thank you for your reply about servicemen being included in the main registers and marked absent, I will try using this information to track down my military ancestors.

Kind Regards

Brian
BrianC48

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:37 pm

Brian - since AVLs survive for my area, I've not seen what an "absent" entry looks like in the main register, however, I can see that there may very well be cases where simply knowing that person X from address Y was absent but another person of the same name, different address, wasn't absent, might prove the crucial element in finding someone.

I suspect it is important to understand that people could be on the Absent Voters List who were not in the military. I've got one who is down as a "Fireman" and another who is "Engine Fireman, L&NW Rly" (i.e. both are railway loco firemen). While the first might be in the Railway Operating Division of the Army, but not described as such, the second is definitely associated with a UK public railway company.

So unless some procedural error has been made, it seems like people could be on the AVL for the same sort of reasons that people get postal votes today. Worth bearing in mind when trying to sort out who might be who.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby BrianC48 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:25 pm

Adrian

Just browsing on ancestry.co.uk I found "Midlands, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1955" which has a section devoted to "Absent Voters List" for the period 1920 to 1939.

The Register Of Electors, Absent Voters List, Parliamentary Borough of Birmingham have each separate lists for each division and records those persons who were absent and gives the persons full name, qualifying premises, description of service, ship, regiment, number, rank, rating, etc., or recorded address. Which is very helpful when searching for family members in the Birmingham area.

As far as I can see Ancestry only appear to cover the Midlands as noted above, I would have thought Fireman, Engine Fireman, Train Drivers etc., should be recorded somewhere in the Electoral Registers!
BrianC48

Return to Genealogy chat