Moderator Control Panel ]

ww2 naval history

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

ww2 naval history

Postby JJMcDuff » Fri May 02, 2014 10:34 am

My Father in law was in the Royal Navy volunteer Reserve. Although we have traced his older brother James Alexander McDuff from 1935 (cadets) - 1946 when he died. We can find no trace of F in Law. His Name was Robert Henry McDuff. And served as a Chief Petty Officer officer as a sick bay attendant.
Can you advise as to any way of finding the info that we would like to find.

Thank you

Joy J McDuff nee Lewis
JJMcDuff

Re: ww2 naval history

Postby MartinJ1952 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:55 am

Could apply for his service record from MOD http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_rec ... cords.html

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Martin
MartinJ1952

Re: ww2 naval history

Postby brunes08 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:14 pm

This is a tricky one. I'm sure you've looked everywhere but just in case I have scouted around a bit. I couldn't find him on Ancestry or on Find My Past. I also looked on the National Archives site under Merchant Seamen's / RNVR records and still couldn't find anything there either. Family Search also has some very basic details of Merchant Seamen's records but again nothing conclusive. Could you, perhaps, add a few more details such as dob and place of birth as these details might help. Another thought, did he perhaps have another forename that he used instead of the Robert Henry?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Return to Military help