Moderator Control Panel ]

Army records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Army records

Postby Aine777 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:13 am

My grandfather (born and died in Dublin) served for a few years in the British Army as a cook or in some capacity in food. He was born in 1888 and died in a repatriation hospital in Dublin in 1952. Can I get access to his service record without knowing the actual years he served? Thank you
Aine777

Re: Army records

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri May 02, 2014 6:42 am

There are 3 distinct periods that he could have served in. And a different method of getting any surviving records for each.

1. Service completed before the outbreak of the First World War.

2. Service completed during the First World War and its aftermath up to about 1922 (????)

3. Any service after that 1922 date.

For 3, all records are still held by the UK's Ministry of Defence. You would have various options but as it's a manual job to search, you'll need something specific that identifies him.

For 1, service records are on Find My Past.

For 2, only between 25 and 33% of the records survive -they are on Ancestry.

Go to the UK's National Archives site and find their advice section on searching for a soldier for the basics, including links to the MoD site.

And there are plenty of misfiled records - Victorian soldiers in the Ancestry stuff, etc.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Aine777 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:15 am

Many thanks Adrian. That gives me somewhere to start.
Aine777

Postby JaneyH » Fri May 02, 2014 10:50 am

You can search on the Forces War Records website for free, although if you find the correct name and want to view the records you will need to subscribe. However you can do just a single month's subscription, which at £8.95 won't break the bank. In addition to WW1 and WW2 information this site also includes material from the 19th century (Boer War etc).

If it's WW1 you're looking at and you know which regiment or unit you're interested in then there's masses of really interesting background on the Long, Long Trail website.

Good luck, Jane
JaneyH

Postby Aine777 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks Jane. I'll try that one too! Regards, Aine
Aine777

Postby Jon Bauckham » Thu May 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Hello,

Just to let you know that I've moved this topic out of live web chats and into the military help area.

Best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Return to Military help