Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users
Post a reply

Photo date. Can anyone help?

Thu May 01, 2014 7:26 pm

[url][/url]This is a photo that has been handed down to me by my Grandfather. My Grandfather was only young when given this photo by his Grandmother, Priscilla Rolls (nee Cowles,born 1861). Unfortunately as he was only young he cannot remember if she told him it was her Father, George Cowles (born 1832) or her Grandfather, John Frail (born 1790). The photo is in the original frame it has always been in since my Grandfather received it. The frame itself is in a small leather case (apologies for having not taken a photo of the case. I can do if it will be of any help). The Gentleman looks quite well-to-do but as we had suspected originally it to be John Frail, we aren't so sure having researched him. John was born in Londonderry and lived in Woodbridge, Suffolk and became a Stable Man. George was from Suffolk and moved to Stepney with his wife, Fanny (where Priscilla was born), where he was a carpenter. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated on date of the photo, any information on clothes. I've added a link for some clearer pictures.
5077ec27-f902-4202-9c31-1ff246c6afa1.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bethanmphotography/sets/72157644443136106
5077ec27-f902-4202-9c31-1ff246c6afa1.jpg (13.7 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
Thank You

Re: Photo date. Can anyone help?

Sat May 03, 2014 10:34 pm

I googled ''men's waistcoat history '' as the gentleman's waistcoat style seemed a good starting place. Lots of sites came up but one seemed particularly useful. It is historyinthemaking.org. There are lots of designs of men's outfits that might help you fix a rough date for your photo. Hope that helps a little.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum

Mon May 05, 2014 8:01 am

This is certainly late victorian.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum

Mon May 05, 2014 11:39 pm

Thank you both :)
Post a reply