Moderator Control Panel ]

US website

Found any online record sets or tools that have helped your family history research? Share your discoveries here

US website

Postby colleen » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi folks,

Have any of you ever come across the following site:

[color=#666600][link=http://www.footnote.com/]http://www.footnote.com/[/link][/color]

I was googling around the name of an ancestor and found him on this site. It seems to be similar to our DocumentsOnline and offers images of various US documents. I paid for a one-off copy of his Civil War Pension record. Subscriptions are also offered but that does not suit me at this stage.

Take a look - you never know!

Colleen
colleen

RE: US website

Postby margaretabram » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks, Colleen for that useful information. I have found Documents Online, but it seems expensive and I have been afraid to try it in case I am wasting my money. Has anyone found really useful stuff on it?
Mags
margaretabram

RE: US website

Postby colleen » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:40 pm

I think we all have to decide from the outset what sort of budget we are going to give ourselves and where to spend it.

There is a lot of stuff being offered on the internet which I would like but have to give it a miss or I will overspend. However, at £3.50 a throw most of the items on Documentsonline are well priced, I think, and in particular the wills and medal cards if you are looking for servicemen.

Just compare it with the cost of paying someone to make a search.

I paid $1.95 for the American Civil War Pension record which gave me the man's enlistment and discharge dates, rank and regiment and date of death. I thought that was good value but I might not use the site again because I couldn't see anything else that interested me.

Colleen
colleen

Return to Useful resources