Moderator Control Panel ]

Townley-Rivett

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Townley-Rivett

Postby atlantikman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:19 pm

I wonder if you have any Townley Rivett’s in your family tree? I am researching a friend’s tree, and this double name is cropping up a lot. My friend’s surname is Rivett, coming from a line of Shoe/Boot makers. Tracing back the Rivett tree, I came to a stop at the 1881 Census, when William Rivett and his wife Ann are found in Liscard (on the Wirral) Cheshire. However all their children are named Townley Rivett, the Townley being a second name rather than part of the surname. Their possible first child Edith Townley Rivett was born in 1875.

On the 1901 Census Edward Townley, Shoemaker, is lodging at the home of William Rivett, Master Boot Maker.

Prior to the 1881 Census I could not find any trace of a William Rivett born about 1855. He had probably married Ann sometime before 1875 when their possible first child Edith was born, but I could not find a marriage of this William Rivett to an Ann. I thought Ann’s maiden name might be Townley, so I searched for a Rivett/Townley marriage without success. On the 1881 Census I noticed Ann was born in Liverpool about 1849, with a William Stewart boarding with her. Searching for a marriage before 1875 of a Ann Stewart, I hit the jackpot and found a marriage in 1873 near Bolton of William Townley to Ann Stewart, fathers names Edward Townley and William Stewart, both shoe makers as was the groom.

I found both father Edward Townley and son William Townley on the 1871 Census in Northampton. I still don’t know why William changed his surname from Townley to Rivett or Townley Rivett sometime between 1873 when he married and 1875 when their possible first child was born, but I have a theory…

On the 1881 Census living with Ann Rivett and her children, is a Sarah A Rivett born about 1874 Manchester and listed as her daughter. But on the 1891 Census is a Sarah A Revett, daughter of John and Sarah A Revett, born about 1874 Manchester, and living in the Liscard area of the Wirral where William and family resided in 1881. Searching for Sarah’s birth record, I found a December quarter 1873 birth for a Sarah Ann Townley in Manchester, along with a September quarter 1875 birth for a Sarah Ann Townley in Prestwich (which is near Manchester). But I could find no birth record of a Sarah Revett/Rivett born about 1874 Manchester area.

I have not purchased Sarah’s birth certificate yet. But I wonder if she was adopted by William and Ann? Maybe John and Sarah Revett/Rivett could not keep her for some reason. John was an Inspector of Postmen in 1891, born in Cumberland, so maybe his job involved a lot of travelling. I have been unable to trace John and Sarah other than on the 1891 Census. Sarah Townley Rivett married Richard Lomax in 1899. Maybe her birth certificate will reveal something. Another thought was that William may have married before Ann Stewart, maybe to a Rivett, but I have found no such record.

Paul.
atlantikman

Re: Townley-Rivett

Postby ciderdrinker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:53 am

Just a thought
Sarah Townley (Edward's sister on the 1841) seems to marry a George Rivett at Northampton Mar 1854 3b 127.
Edward's marriage in 1847 seems to be to a Sarah Lovitt could her surname be wrong and she also Rivett.and George's sister?
Or it could just be that the rich uncle George Rivett died and William wanted something in in the Will.
Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby atlantikman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Hello ciderdrinker,

Thanks for that info. I am aware that Edward's eldest sister Mary Townley on the 1841 census, probably married William Lovitt/Lovett in 1847 Northampton. So Edward might have married his sister or cousin Sarah Lovitt/Lovett. Regarding Sarah Ann Townley marrying George Revitt in 1847 Northampton, I can see them (I think) on the 1871 census in Grendon Northampton; but I'm aware of a George Revitt marriage to a Sarah A Parker in 1865 Wellingborough, so I might have the wrong Sarah.

Re my 1891 census for John Revett Inspector of Postmen in Liscard Wallasey, I went to my local library today to check the the Gores' Directories. At that address around 1891 was a John BIRKETT who was an Inspector at the Post Office. So looking again at the 1891 census page (1891 Census: Heather Villa, Withens Lane, Liscard, Cheshire RG12 2895 67 33), it looks like John & Sarah A Birkett, but the daughter Sarah A still seems to read Rivett?. Maybe this Sarah A Rivett was a servant, not their daughter?

I'm still no closer to finding out about the name changes from Townley to Rivett or Townley Rivett.

Paul.
atlantikman

Postby atlantikman » Wed May 14, 2014 1:08 pm

Referring to my last posts, I have now obtained the 1854 marriage certificate of George Rivett shoemaker to Sarah Townley. Both bride and groom give their ages as 21 years. Parent’s names are Thomas Rivett tailor and Robert Townley shoemaker. This Sarah Townley appears to be the sister of Edward Townley I mentioned earlier.

Edward Townley probably married Sarah Lovett in 1847 Northampton. His eldest sister Mary Townley probably married William Lovett earlier in 1847 Northampton.

I now have 183 people and 50 marriages on the Townley-Rivett tree, and am still trying to ascertain why William Townley changed his name to William Rivett or William Townley Rivett after his 1873 marriage to Ann Stewart but before his first child Edith Townley Rivett was born in 1875.
atlantikman

Postby Paula Foreman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi,

My maiden name is Townley-Rivett.

Paula
Paula Foreman

Postby atlantikman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi Paula,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I only spotted your input a day ago.

Are you directly related to George E Rivett who was born in Birkenhead in 1914? If so, this man is your Grandfather? Did he marry Daisy E Alder in 1934 Pancras? I notice the Indexes say George E T Rivett for his marriage, but just George E Rivett for his birth, if it's the same man.

I am now related to the (Townley-) Rivett's through marriage by my brother on 15 February this year.

Best wishes,
Paul.

[PM sent to Paula.]
atlantikman

Return to General research queries