Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 Nursing Uniform? Can you help

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

WW1 Nursing Uniform? Can you help

Postby Hursty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:28 am

I wonder if anyone can help me to identify the uniform - I'm lost. This is a photograph of Edith Lois Bell born 1892, my great, great grandmother. I am unsure as to the date but I assume she is in her early 20s so anything from 1910. Could it be a nursing or nannying uniform? Any help would be a great help. Thank you, Sarah....
Attachments
Edith Lois Bell - Uniform.jpg
Edith Lois Bell - Uniform.jpg (40.94 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
Hursty

Re: WW1 Nursing Uniform? Can you help

Postby brunes08 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:05 pm

I have just typed 1WW uniforms for nurses into Google. There is a site for nursing uniforms with dozens and dozens of photographs. None of them resemble the one in your photo. I tried for nursemaids too but no luck. Nothing similar. That of course doesn't eliminate either possibility but does seem to make it less likely. It could be that she worked for example in a private nursing home or family home where a uniform might be non-standard. Hope that helps a little bit.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby ritah » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Have you found her on the 1911 census? that may help as to her occupation, alternatively is an occupation given on her marriage certificate?

Regards

Rita
ritah

Postby Sylcec » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:36 pm

Could she have been a leader in some sort of girls or young women's organisation? I note the large 'shield' shaped motif sewn on the upper right arm - what could that be? Also, what is the shiny pin or badge on the left of her hat and what is its purpose?
Sylcec

Postby MrMichael » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:11 pm

I think this may be a St John Ambulance uniform. Up until the 1990s or thereabouts the nurses used to wear a type of tricorne hat like the one in the photo, although they would wear the white nurse's cap when carrying out nursing duties. The uniform dress was also grey. I would guess the photo dates from the 1920s but I don't know much about the uniforms then. You could try the County Headquarters to see if they have any membership records still in their possession, or maybe the SJA in London, St John's Gate I think it is based.
MrMichael

Postby brunes08 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:47 am

Hi again, I've just looked at the St John's Ambulance site and the nursing outfits still do not fit your photo. There is a site museumstjohn.org.uk that you could check. I just typed in St John Ambulance Female Uniform to Google. Sorry, I can't find anything more useful.

brunes08

Postby brunes08 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:59 am

Me again. I've just come across a site you might find useful. It is scarletfinders.co.uk. The site is all about nurses and nursing in different services. Hope you find something to help.

brunes08

Return to Photo identification