Moderator Control Panel ]

Searching for William Gregory's parents

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Searching for William Gregory's parents

Postby Amareargentum » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi all

I first posted this in the general queries and then thought it might be better in the military board. I am hoping that someone with far more experience than me can point me in he right direction.

My ancestor William Gregory was born in 1795 according to the 1841, 51, 61 and 71 censuses. He is recorded as being born in Chelmsford, Essex. In all the censuses he was living in and around Poplar, East London and worked as a caulker. I cannot find when he came to London.

Where I am stuck is tracing his parents. I have looked at he parish registers for Chelmsford and have found two possibles in the register for St Mary the Virgin, St Peter and St Ced, Chelmsford ( later Chelmsford Cathedral). What I have found is that as this was the period of garrisoning the ports due to the threat of the Napoleonic invasion, both the Fathers on the baptism are temporary, military residents. The two baptisms are:
March 24th 1796 - William Gregory, son of Wm Gregory, Oxford Militia
August 20th 1797 - William Gregory, son of William Gregory and Anne his wife, Sergeant 23rd Regiment.

I have tried to find details for both the Oxford Militia and the 23rd Regiment that might help to solve this but no luck so far. Censuses do not help me as William junior was already living independently by the 1841 census so there is no link, and no aged parent living with him. I have checked for wills and cannot find anything either. I have found William juniors marriage. He married Susannah Thomas at St Mary, Stoke Newington on the 2nd October 1820. The record I have found does not give any clues about his parents nor are the witnesses (Richard Hendey and George Harris) any help that I have identified yet.
If anyone could suggest where to look next I would be very grateful.
Thank you
Amareargentum

Re: Searching for William Gregory's parents

Postby junkers » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:19 pm

Have you checked to see if the first William Gregory died as that would leave you with the other as the likely parents. The following link from the Royal Welch Fusiliers Museum may be of some help http://www.royalwelsh.org.uk/regiment/h ... meline.htm. The National Archives (TNA) do not have a record of a William Gregory but he may be recorded in the pay lists/muster rolls (series WO 10 at TNA). Have you contacted the Oxfordshire County Record Office for records of the Oxford Militia and TNA have some militia records.
junkers

Re: Searching for William Gregory's parents

Postby Amareargentum » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I had a look on-line at Oxford records office holdings, but have not been in touch. That is probably the best next step. I did wonder whether the first William died, but I cannot find a death. Also the Oxford Militia were moved from Chelmsford soon after the first baptism, following an insurrection whichever lead to some of them being executed. I am therefore thinking that they are two different sets of parents.
Thanks again for your help.
Amareargentum

Return to Military help