Moderator Control Panel ]

Leaflet / catalogue inserts with WDYTYA? Magazine

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Leaflet / catalogue inserts with WDYTYA? Magazine

Postby JaneyH » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:33 pm

I've just received the May edition of WDYTYA? Magazine as part of my subscription, which was a Christmas present from my husband. I haven't had a chance to get stuck into the magazine yet, but I feel I have to mention the array of leaflets and catalogues that fell out. There are details of subscriptions to "The Lady" magazine, a leaflet about "how to avoid rising funeral costs" and - best of all - a sales brochure with details of various household aids for the (very) elderly and infirm. I imagine that, as a company, you are paid to include such literature in with your magazines, but please don't make too many assumptions about your readership profile. For the record, I'm a working Mum in my early 40s and even my parents (aged 70) would take exception to your inserts.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Re: Leaflet / catalogue inserts with WDYTYA? Magazine

Postby MartinJ1952 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Mine inserts as usual got put in recycling without viewing them. Could we have an option on membership subscription to opt out of this type of junk inserts, seems such a waste of paper & not very environmentally friendly.

Martin
MartinJ1952

Postby Editor » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:42 pm

I'll suggest to our advertising team that they broaden their horizons!

As for opting out of advertising, unfortunately the knock-on effect would be that the cost of the magazine would rise. I know advertising can be annoying for some people, but without it we couldn't produce the magazine at the price it is now.

Have a great weekend!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby JaneyH » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:38 pm

Many thanks - I appreciate Sarah's comment about the need to broaden the horizons of the advertising team.

JaneyH

Postby gallowaylass » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Why not copy the Sunday Papers and put them all in a sealed bag then we can simply bin them and not have to pick them all up from the floor. I agree with other posters, the bumf is a nuisance. Do the online subscribers have to put up with adverts from the same companies interrupting their reading? I suspect not.
gallowaylass

Postby Sylcec » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:18 am

Really - it doesn't interrupt your reading at all. Just do as Martin says and put them in one handful in your recycling bin.

I too deplore the number of forests that are decimated to result in advertising fluff that very few people want or respond to. However, just do what we do on-line with the so called "kitchen design" folk and consider them read, without actually doing so.
Sylcec

Return to Magazine chat