Moderator Control Panel ]

Great Grandfather discharged from Highland Light Infantry 19

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Great Grandfather discharged from Highland Light Infantry 19

Postby bsidebaby » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Hello I have discovered my great grandfather was convicted by the Civil Power of Felony and sentenced to 3 years P.S. in 1910. How can I find out more about the actual crime and where he served his sentence? He was discharged shortly after bring sentenced. His regimental number was 11528. He was from Glasgow and served in 2nd Battalion HLI. Thank you.
bsidebaby

Re: Great Grandfather discharged from Highland Light Infantr

Postby junkers » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:43 pm

It depends on where he was sentenced, if it was in Scotland then the Sheriff Courts records (SC series) held by the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh is the place to go, they have a search facility and the file should be open but best to check. If it was in England or Wales then the Home Office Calendars of Prisoners (HO 140 series) at The National Archives at Kew is the best place to go.
junkers

Postby bsidebaby » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Thank you junkers a trip to Scotland it is then!
bsidebaby

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:50 pm

You may also find something in the newspapers - I was going to go down the calendar route for one of my relatives but found a report in a county paper first.

Adrian
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help