Moderator Control Panel ]

The findmypast site has been trashed

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: The findmypast site has been trashed

Postby Annalies » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:42 am

Sadly I too agree that FMP has gone backwards in its search facility; in fact, most of the searches I do, and I'm talking about the broad ones, return nothing at all!!! I can only hope that their search engines perform the task well again, but until then it is quite frustrating and time consuming to find what you want.
Annalies

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:56 pm

So far I've not failed to find stuff that I know is there (or rather, it's on Ancestry). However one pitfall is that the census form includes both birth place and birth town. If you use birth place, you will get nil return. You need to fill in birth town - I raised a feedback on this. Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:11 am

First I must declare I do not currently use any subscription sites so cannot comment from personal use.

It does seem however that some people have not totally understood the situation and are perhaps not being as open minded as they could.
It seems some of the problems may indeed be caused by a different work technique that needs to be learned. I am afraid that is how progress works.

One person who seems to have discovered some of the new practices is Peter Cousins as he explains some ways of using the new site in his newsletter at
http://lostcousins.com/newsletters/easter14news.htm

I don't expect this will solve all the problems but I hope it will raise hope in the hearts of many.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Response to Guy above

Postby Margaret Hirst » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:56 am

Guy

You say you do not subscribe. Fair enough. But please do not insult the people who DO subscribe and who are experiencing real problems by stating that this is an issue of "understanding". I am afraid that this is just what FMP and DC Thomson have tried to fob people off with. We are not numpties and we have some very experienced researchers / IT developers and managers etc amongst us who have the same problem. As I cannot comment on brain surgery due to complete lack of knowledge and skill, I would ask that you do not comment on this issue.
Margaret Hirst

Re: Response to Guy above

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:49 pm

Margaret Hirst wrote:Guy
please do not insult the people who DO subscribe and who are experiencing real problems by stating that this is an issue of "understanding".

When I read Guy's suggestions, I permitted myself a wry smile. There are issues of missing software, rubbish data, etc., as well as those of understanding. However, while we are being accurate, Guy did not imply that all the problems are an issue of understanding.

I would suggest that Guy and Peter Cousins have enough genealogical street-cred that we should do them the courtesy of listening - even if we don't agree. And as for asking that someone not comment, isn't that just a little ironic for someone who complains about censorship?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat