Moderator Control Panel ]

Find My Past New Website

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Re: Find My Past New Website

Postby Alan Earl » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Editor wrote:I think customer service and communication is going to be one of the main thrusts of my discussion with them.

And could you ask them why, after being unable to print the census transcript pages for 3 weeks, they have made a decision to list the householders in alphabetical order? It's nonsensical. We just want the transcription results put back the way it was please, in logical format. In order as it is on the actual census image. Is that too much to ask of a genealogy research service?
Alan Earl

Postby ITSt » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Editor wrote:I'm off to see FMP tomorrow and I'm compiling a list of functionality that is missing that readers have contacted us about....Sarah

Hi Sarah,

You will know me from my recent emails to you :D (Ian S)

Today, out of the blue, I received an email from Nicky Doran, Head of Customer Services, DC Thomson Family History. It was in reply to a specific complaint about the use of YouTube, Facebook and Twitter as the FMP prime communication channel. I think i received the reply as I was somewhat strong in my complaint :evil: .

But ... I was astounded at the reply from Nicky Doran, and please feel free to take this up with FMP. I quote from the email :

"... we are communicating with our customers across a variety of channels including the 'What's New' and 'Blog' Pages on the Findmypast website. Any information that is posted on our Facebook page will also be posted on one of these pages ... (blurb about the links to the blog, what's new etc) ... On an individual contact basis, we take telephone calls from our customers and are also responding to thousands of customer emails each week, all with a personal response from our in-house Customer Support team ..."

The email went on to say that if I had any issues with the web site to contact Support and they would "provide advice".

I have of course replied as FMP Support are no longer taking telephone calls, and have almost stopped replying to their Support emails. They are certainly not showing any respect for their paying customers who quite rightly expect the FMP web site to be the first place for the posting of any customer communication.

It is interesting that Nicky Doran admitted to “responding to thousands of customer emails each week”. That would tell me that there is a fundamental issue with the current search tools, and FMP should be recognising that fact.

A previous poster above talked about “Project Planning”, based on what I have seen and heard, my firmly held belief is that that DC Thomson Family History do not have a Project Plan, they are “fire fighting” and that can only mean greater issues further down the road.

As for examples of issues I would recommend just quoting "feedback <dot> findmypast <dot> co <dot> uk" (can't post links) : there are so many to choose from (272 ideas and counting). But the continuing lack of downloading or printing newspaper images is particularly damning, especially as they also own the BNA.

Regards

Ian
ITSt

FAO Sarah, Editor. Re: Find My Past New Website

Postby Margaret Hirst » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:30 am

Sarah

I have copied this across from the Can't Find My Past Facebook page. I think that this is one of the faces of the FMP debacle which needs to be put to them.

Quote:

Diana
Find My Past have had the very last cent they will ever get from me unless they return to the old format very darned quick! I simply cannot find anything I want anymore and am thoroughly fed up as it took me months to save up for my latest subscription being an OAP, and, as far as I am concerned was a complete waste of precious money. Once bitten twice shy! Never again FMP!

This is a real person with a real problem. It does make me think "How dare they ride roughshod over people in this way?" But the simple fact is that they can and they are. Shame on them.
Margaret Hirst

FAO Sarah, Editor Re: Find My Past New Website

Postby Margaret Hirst » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:34 am

Another post across from the Can't Find My Past Facebook page

My husband and I use two different computers (laptops) for our research - on his he wasn't able to open original images but I could and I still don't have any search boxes on my home page, my husbands is fine, and I have to use a link they sent me to do any research. If we get such varying results I don't know how they actually know what is working and what is not.......

I don't think that any further comment is necessary on the inconsistencies of functionality.
Margaret Hirst

FAO Sarah, Editor Re: Find My Past New Website

Postby Margaret Hirst » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:45 am

Sarah

A final (you will be pleased to hear) thought from me. (Copied from a comment I have just made on CFMP Facebook.

I think that FMP appear to have made the commitment to release their flagship and much heralded "100 in 100" and the old search engine either couldn't do the search or had not been updated to do the search. The new search had been specifically designed that way. So, we end up with a dilemma. If they don't release the "100 in 100" at the right time, it won't finish in time for the anniversary of the beginning of WWI. Do they risk it, or not? Well, this new search can't be that bad and any problems will be easily ironed out. And nobody will notice that much...... WRONG!!!!
Margaret Hirst

Postby AstroKeith » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:12 am

After a night's sleep I have an additional point to my posting of yesterday.

I do think the issue of censorship needs raising. If they have forums, both on their website and Facebook where they invite feedback, then they must honour that invitation and allow them to be published (except for malicious, rude, etc). Many items of feedback have been removed and they were clearly not of a category that warranted it.

I had started an "idea" on their feedback forum, which was rapidly gaining support and was about to become no3 in the rankings. The idea was specifically to bring back the old site in parallel until the new one was working. FMP "merged " this with the more generic "improve features" thread. They are clearly not the same idea! I took this up with FMP, who evaded the issue at first, and then stopped corresponding soon after. I have screenshots of the thread before it was removed, and so I know I am on solid ground!
AstroKeith

Postby AstroKeith » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:33 am

Promise this is my last post!
I've just reviewed the 44 ideas that FMP have posted as "completed".

6 do not deliver what the originator asked for.
16 do seem to be done
22 are "available to most users (4 ideas)", or will " be available soon on the new FMP platform coming in the next few weeks (18 ideas)"

So strictly speaking 28 are not complete, at least not for all users. Surely FMP should have learnt by now they are only complete when the subscribers have access to them and they have been tested and proven to work.

And what is this "new platform FMP will be rolling out in the next few weeks". Is this another big change? I'm confused!
AstroKeith

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:52 am

Hi Keith,

Sarah is due to meet FMP in approximately 10 minutes, so she may not see this. However, please be assured that she has spent considerable time reading the comments on here and the rest of the web, and is going to do her best to make sure the big questions are asked on behalf of the community.

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Sarah's interview with Find My Past

Postby Margaret Hirst » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:55 pm

I would suggest that anyone thinking of posting a rant, thinks again. Sarah was there as a representative of WDYTYA customers. It was never going to be an easy task, and what has been produced is probably the best outcome that could be hoped for. Give her a break.
Margaret Hirst

Postby DCA » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:10 pm

Just a quick thank you to Jon and Sarah for taking on board FMP users concerns about the new FMP website and setting up the original Q&A session and today's meeting and interview. I just wish some of the other genealogy organisations and data providers who have an interest in this sorry saga had been as pro-active as WDYTYA.

As to the interview video, Sarah did a good job under difficult circumstances, but interesting that FMP put up two very eloquent managers to role out the official FMP line but no sign whatsoever of the CEO who must surely take responsibility for the mess FMP now find themselves in.
DCA

PreviousNext

Return to Magazine chat