Moderator Control Panel ]

Find My Past New Website

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Re: Find My Past New Website

Postby Jon Bauckham » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:23 pm

And yes, I'll make sure the link gets promoted.

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby Sylcec » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:42 am

I could hardly believe this, but presumably FMP have been tinkering with the search function, because when I was using the site to find some India Office Records this afternoon, every time I went back from looking at a specific result to the list of results, I got returned to the blank form on the start searching page. Very frustrating - having to do multiple repeat searches to have a chance of looking at a smallish selection of records.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Jon Bauckham » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:10 pm

Hello,

The Q&A with findmypast is now published here:
http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine. ... -criticism

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread or sent me a personal email - your comments were useful when it came to compiling the questions.

Best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby DCA » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:50 am

Thanks for your efforts Jon.

Can I ask whether WDYTYA magazine is likely to take this matter any further as (in the opinion of many) the answers provided by FMP are patronising and flawed and there is still a lot of unhappy people posting on the FMP forum (1,531 posts as of this morning)
DCA

Postby Sylcec » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:25 pm

Really DCA, I think you are expecting too much of Jon. He is not on the staff of Thompsons and FMP but is part of the WDYTYA team. As such he has no control over or specific insider information into the workings of another organisation.(I don't think Jon is likely to be an industrial spy ... possibly a new career for you Jon?? :) ) We can however appreciate that Jon has done his job in an responsible and professional manner in respect to the complaints about FMP.

I do however agree with you that the nature of the FMP responses is patronising and platitudinous. What else can one do? Well, if there is such a thing in the UK, I suppose you could report them to the equivalent to Australia's "Department of Fair Trading" or an industry ombudsman. I doubt FMP would be able to get away with platitudes in response to them. However, any complaints through these avenues would have to be carefully worded and focus on aspects of "fit for purpose" and whether subscribers are getting what they paid for.

I have no doubt that the current problems will be resolved in due course, but in the meantime FMP are losing a massive amount of goodwill
Good luck, Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby bobbobbob » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:23 am

SPOOKY Big brother seems to be watching, findmypast is allegedly trying to check on people who post on the findmypast facebook page by checking their facebook user names or the names that they use on their findmypast facebook page posts against the findmypast member accounts to see if the facebook poster is a paid customer of findmypast.

This, (verbatim quote below ), was posted yesterday by a findmypast user on the findmypast feedback forum complaints message thread,...

Several other users over the past week and a half had also posted to say that their messages on the findmypast facebook page had been deleted.

********************************************************************************************
Quote...

" MargeH commented · April 9, 2014 1:42 PM

Concern on a Facebook entry. There was a long list of posts, and one poster (Charles Kingston) had made a comment which FMP replied to as "we have checked our database and there is nobody of that name subscribing". I challenged this by stating that they should not have accessed a subscriber's personal information from their database and should not have exacerbated the situation by posting what they had done on Facebook. This list of posts has now been deleted. However, I have had to remind them, on a new post, that comments deleted from Facebook can still be accessed via a DP29 Data Release form to Facebook from any UK Law Enforcement Agency.

So, FMP, what do you have to say about that?

Are you routinely checking up on the people who are posting on here and Facebook? Under what right do you think you can access any of your subscribers' personal information in relation to them expressing an opinion on Facebook? "
bobbobbob

New unrestricted Can't Find My Past Facebook page

Postby Margaret Hirst » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:39 pm

All dissatisfied FMP users, go to a new Facebook page.

Look for Can't Find My Past. (WDYTYA does not allow the pasting of URLs here)

You can vent your frustration there and feel amongst friends.
Margaret Hirst

Postby gilly68 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:19 pm

WHY DO THEY DO IT???

Family Search, Ancestry they have all done it! A perfectly straight-forward, easy to use system that all people can navigate. Then somebody comes along to justify their job and "Hey, lets change it all and **** our customers off, they will love it eventually!"

Family Search you can forgive because its mostly free and I have actually got used to it. I don't necessarily agree that it is better though. Ancestry and Find My Past are commercial sites that make lots of money out of us all, yet they are not interested in what we think! I returned to Ancestry after a break and found the Old Search gone and completely replaced by a format illogical and messy, with records hard to find although I knew they were there, particularly where wildcards were concerned (very useful considering the poor transcriptions). When I complained their attitude was (politely said) that I was being reactionary and suggested nobody likes new systems until they get used to it, and that is just what I just have to do: get used to it!! All I can say in its favour is that it is still usable, though I am still not content. What makes me laugh is that I was just about to dump Ancestry (for other reasons as well) and return to Find My Past. Ooops! I did it today and I am not happy. They won't be getting a new subscription until it has changed back. Shame. Best stick with Ancestry!
gilly68

Postby gilly68 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:42 pm

I had another look around the new website today. I don't know whether I was lucky or they have ironed out some of the problems but it was much improved. Still not sure whether I like the format and it will take a bit of getting used to. Some of the loading a bit slow, we shall see whether that improves. Might go back to it. we shall see!
gilly68

Postby Editor » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:40 am

Apparently they are working round the clock to try and fix some of the issues and bugs. I'm going down there next week to meet the FMP team and ask them questions about the new website and how they have handled the criticism face to face.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Magazine chat