Moderator Control Panel ]

Eric St Vincent Galt

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Eric St Vincent Galt

Postby patmblack » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:06 pm

James Earl Ray, the convicted killer of Martin Luther King, is alleged to have used 4 aliases of Canadian men. One of these was Eric St Vincent Galt, who I believe to be my great uncle's son. He was going to be indicted until they proved that the fingerprints were James Earl Ray's. If this man is my 1st cousin 1x removed he was born in Canada circa.1915 son of James Henry Galt & Naomi Marion Galt nee Paul but I have been unable to find his birth. Can anyone point me in the right direction to help confirm that this man is my ancestor.
patmblack

Re: Eric St Vincent Galt

Postby callbrian » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi
unfortunately, I haven't as yet found your Eric. I no longer have international Ancestry which may have the answer. By using http://www.familysearch.org I did confirm your John Henry's marriage.
https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... 1870-1920~
Hopefully someone with access to Ancestry may be able to help. If you haven't already done so, you could try the Canada pages of 'Rootschat'.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby patmblack » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks Brian. I do have an international Ancestry membership but his birth is not listed & I have his father's marriage info, but thanks for checking. I will try Rootschat too.
patmblack

Postby meekhcs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:33 pm

Hello

I cannot find a birth using worldwide ancestry but there are several newspaper articles including a full page spread of the story which I will try to send you in a PM.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:35 pm

ok your post came in at the same time as mine. You will be able to access the newspaper articles yourself. They are all in US papers so do not limit your search to Canada.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby patmblack » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks Sally

I have seen some of the articles but will look at the ones you found.
patmblack

Postby meekhcs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:20 pm

The full page article is in The Progress, a PA newspaper.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby callbrian » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi,
sorry if I keep posting items you may have already checked! Have you 'Googled' Eric? I found this,
http://store.historicimages.com/products/rsj24591
regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby patmblack » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:15 pm

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I have found quite a lot of articles in connection to the Martin Luther King murder. My problem is confirming he is my ancestor as I can't find his birth.
patmblack

Postby meekhcs » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:08 pm

In general birth records in Canada are governed by the 100 year rule, which I realise is extremely annoying for you because Eric will fall just inside this period. Some provinces/territories are more forthcoming. Hopefully if you scour all the newspaper references you may find a clue as to where he was born, and an application to the relevant archive may turn up something.
Sally
meekhcs

Next

Return to General research queries