Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others
Post a reply

William Greenhill marriage to Sarah ?? circa 1795, London

Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:49 am

I am looking for information regarding the marriage of my great (x4) grandparents William Greenhill b circa 1770 and Sarah possibly Mills born circa 1769.
The had the following children all with the second given name of Mills (which is the reason I believe Sarah's maiden name is possibly Mills)
Mary Mills Greenhill born circa 1799 Buried 31 Jul 1799 @ Whitefields Memorial Church, Camden. In the register of funerals the details are entered as 3 months, St Clement Danes
Benjamin John Mills Greenhill b. 9 Feb 1801 Bap 5 Mar 1801 St Clement Danes
Mary Mills Greenhill b. 15 Oct 1802 Bap 17 Nov 1802 St Clement Danes (my Great (x3) Grandmother)
John Mills Greenhill b 11 May 1804 Bap 17 June 1804 St Luke Old St Finsbury
Richard Mills Greenhill b circa 1806 Bap 22 June 1806 St Luke Old St Finsbury. Buried 15 Mar 1807 aged 9 months at Bunhill Fields Burial Grounds
Richard Mills Greenhill b 31 Dec 1811 Bap 26 Jan 1812 St Dunstan Stepney Parents Residence & Occupation MEOT Victualler
Ann Mills Greenhill b 26 May 1814 Bap 19 Jun 1814 St Dunstan Stepney Parents Residence & Occupation MEOT Victualler
During the last couple of days on Ancestry I have located a record for a Marriage between William Greenhill & Sarah Mills on 21 July 1794 at Wanstead, Essex and the birth of a Jane Mills Greenhill on 15 Mar 1797 at Caversham, Oxford.
My questions about this family are
Is this the marriage for my Great x 4 Grandparents?
Does Jane Mills Greenhill belong to this family? and if she does what were they doing in Caversham, Oxford?
Did they have any other children, especially in the period 1806 - 1812 and immediately after their marriage in 1794 (if the correct marriage)?
Is the burial entry I have for William in March 1823 the correct entry? - Details MEOT 53 years St Dunstans, seem to fit with the later births in the family.
Is the burial entry for Sarah in June 1854 the correct entry? Details Ratcliffe 85 years St Dunstans.
Any thoughts or suggestions on this family welcomed.
Thankyou for reading this post.
Allison

Re: William Greenhill marriage to Sarah ?? circa 1795, Londo

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:31 am

Hi All
I missed including the burial for Ann Mills Greenhill on 10 Feb 1817 at St Dunstans Stepney. The burial register gives her residence as MEOT and what appears to be the record of costs for the burial gives the cause of death as Inflammation and also records the place as MEOT. Her age on the costs is 2 yrs 9 months but on the burial there is a transcription error and gives the age at 7 yrs 9 months.
Regards
Allison

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:39 am

Hi,
I think this is...Mile End Old Town, now part of Tower Hamlets, London.
Brian

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:15 am

Thanks Brian I have googled MEOT & found a little about it but haven't gone too far into the local history of the area yet. I appreciate your information.
Regards
Allison

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:41 am

I have received Sarah Greenhill's (new Mills?) death certificate today. She died on 13 June 1854 aged 82 years in the Union Workhouse York St West Ratcliff. It gives her occupation as Widow of William Greenhill Publican.
Any information on this family or the marriage of William and Sarah appreciated.
Thank you
Allison

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:28 am

Hi All
I have just spent the afternoon trawling through the Admission & Discharge registers for the Union Workhouse and have found that Sarah Greenhill was admitted on 26 Oct 1849 by the Board due to Old Age. On 8 Feb 1850 she left the Workhouse for 'On Liberty for 1 Month' and was readmitted on 4 Mar 1850 with the note 'From Leave of Absence' and 'Bad Health'. The 1851 census has her in the workhouse aged 79 with an occupation of Licensed Victualler. It gives her birth place as Berkshire, Marlow however I note from a quick google search that Marlow in in Buckinghamshire although close to Berkshire.
I have tried to look at the other Poor Law records for the Union Workhouse at Ratcliff but have not been able to find Sarah in those records. I had difficulty understanding how the other records available on Ancestry worked and what records covered what institution.
Does it seem feasible that she was born in Marlow in 1772, married in Wanstead, Essex in 1794. had a child in Cavesham, Oxford in 1797 before moving into the London area and having children in the St Clement Danes area from 1799 then St Lukes Finsbury from 1804 before finally settling in MEOT prior to 1811.
Any feedback on this family appreciated.
Regards
Allison

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:56 pm

Good Morning
And can I say congratulations on all you have found.
I think you have the right marriage and that Jane does indeed belong to your family.
There is a possible marriage for her to a Joshua Lee 27.5.1815 at St Martins in the Fields.
You have to bear in mind that as a Victualler perhaps catering to the coach trade he would move around more than your average ancestor.
I have found a couple of things on him ,but not a lot.
1.1.1802 he is registered to vote at St Clement Danes and Mary le Strand for an address in Vere St.
(London lives website)
1805 Holdon's Trienial Trade book there is an entry for William Greenhill Gloucester and Whitecross St licencee of the Duke of Gloucester.(Ancestry)
There is also a William Greenhill of Old compton st Piggots 1822 but he is a 'dealer' .He also appears on the tax lists for St Anne's Soho at that address 1810-1825 ,full name William Wells Greenhill.
I 'm a bit concerned that this is a different man .
The first however shows he must be a rich man in deed to be entitled to vote.It's possible that things took a turn for the worse after he died leaving Sarah in difficult circumstances.
I've looked for a Will to back up that burial you found but found nothing.
There are several possible baptisms for William in London on FMP but i don't have a sub.
Sorry but that's all I can find.
Ciderdrinker

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi me agiain
Have you got the Will for Benjamin John Greenhill?
14.9.1861 of 70 Hoxton Old Town Shoreditch scale maker £100
Died 31.8.1861 ext Esther Ann widow and William Ashton of 61 Prebend st gentleman.
At his first marriage 18.12.1824 Bethnal Green St Matthews to Anna Poster/Foster? the witnesses are Joshua and Jane Lee.
That fits with the marriage at St Martins.
1841 Wellington St Bethnal green
Joshua Lee 45 furniture dealer y
Jane 40 y
Mary 15 y
Richard 2y
1851 MENT 17 Charles St
Joshua Lee 59 furniture dealer Middlsex
Jane 52 Berkshire
Richard King son 12 Whitechapel
Their children that I can find are Joshua 2.2.1818 Whitechapel bap 18.3.1818,William 6.10.1819 bap19.11.1819 Stepney and Mary 5.10./13.1821 St Dunstan Stepney.
Ciderdrinker

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks Cidermaker, I will check out the info you have found later today. Quite a few avenues to pursue.
Thank you
Allison

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:11 pm

Oops it Ciderdrinker not Cidermaker!! I do apologise.
I have done some work on the information you so kindly found for me, need to do a little more though. The Lee connection has worked out as on the baptism of one of the children Jane's second name of Mills is mentioned. I have located the Census records for 1841 & 1851 which lists Joshua as a Fixture Dealer however the baptism records of his children list him as an Iron Monger. The Richard listed in the 1841 & 1851 census as a son is listed in the 1861 as Richard King grandson. Jane seems to have died between 1851 & 1861 as she is not in the 1861 Census.
I am having difficulty locating a couple of the records that you mentioned the first being 1805 Holdon's Trienial Trade which is of interest as the London, England, Land Tax Records have a William Greenhill at Gloucester Court in 1808. These two pieces of information seem to tie in.
The other item you mention is the will for Benjamin John Mills Greenhill which I also could not find.
Are you able to give details of how I can also locate these records. Thanks.
The William Greenhill dealer I am pretty certain is not the same as he appears to be in another area at the same time as my William being a Victualler in MEOT - from his children's baptism records.
Thankyou once again
Regards
Allison
Post a reply