Moderator Control Panel ]

Challenge the Experts ?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Challenge the Experts ?

Postby CarpeDiem » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:26 am

I would love to see a section in the magazine where people (ME ! ME ! ME !) who have been struggling to find someone in my [b][u]main[/u][/b] line for over 10 years !! so has really come to a full stop and [u]NEEDS[/u] some expert help and guidance to be able to continue..... can challenge the experts to sort the problem on [b]just ONE person in the tree[/b] and open the door so they can carry on their research..... their family tree could be the article and it could be a different reader each month.....

Im sure there are lots of people - like me - who are quite genuinly 'stuck' on one person and don't know where to look next....which is stopping them going any further back.... My dad is 70 in January and I soooooo want to sort this out for him..... as we've been stuck on his G Grandfather for over 10 years !!!

Come on WDYTYA...... help us non-celebs.... just on one person.... [;)]

I volunteer to be the 1st to admit genealoglical defeat..... and ask your researchers to help me find my [b]Thomas BATE[/b]....pleeaasseeeee....

Carrol
CarpeDiem

RE: Challenge the Experts ?

Postby Editor » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:13 pm

Hi Carrol,

Email the magazine some more details about your Thomas Bate and we will see what you can do. I can't promise anything though! If you've been looking for 10 years I suspect you've covered most of the options. I'm afraid that sometimes the trail does just come to an end.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby viking800 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:10 am

Have you considered a mis-spelling of the name. I had a "Bate" that turned out to be a "Bale" !
Veteran family history researcher with Norse, Scottish, Irish, & English roots!
viking800

Postby Woodlander » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:46 pm

Good suggestion - I'd love to see it taken up [:)]
Woodlander

Postby Simon in Bucks » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:36 pm

Sarah - can I send you some details on my GG Grandmother - Phoebe Rebecca Crapper ? She's proving to be rather elusive indeed...............I would welcome some expert thought.

Thanks

Simon

Simon in Bucks

Postby strep98 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:50 am

Oh would I like an expert to help with my case too. I've looked into this for about 16 years now since my Dad died. His first wife (a bigamous marriage, see other thread) does not exsist in any registar I've looked in for her birth, her marriage (the first one not the one where she married my dad), her father does not exsist either. I wondered if she "married" Dad using her married name and just tweaked her father's name to fit. I really don't know where to look next, but as I've said previously Dad gave evidence against her in 1952 at the Old Bailey. So if anyone knows of a Lillian Minto or her son (Henry or George??) born about 1943/44. Let me know.
strep98

Postby cms » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:06 am

Hello Carrol
I wonder if your brickwall ancestor is related to mine - [b]William Bate![/b]
Does your Bate come from Appleton Cheshire by any chance?
Caroline
Main family names:
BATE Cheshire;Lancs
DRURY Shropshire
McCOLL Argyll;Rothesay;Greenock
CHILWELL Warks;Staffs
Also
BATHO, DICKEN Shropshire
REED Yorks
SMITH, ROULSTON Nuneaton
SMEDLEY Nottingham
cms

Postby mairobertson » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:00 pm

what details do you have for your gg grandfather name date of birth address wife children death occupation etc surely someone can help you
Hallford or Allford or Alford or Halford
Garrity
Steventon
O'Brien
Canning
McMillan
McMullen
Collum
Robertson/Robinson
Withers
Vokes
Hazle
Clowes
Bunyan
Hodge
Paterson
Fenton
Barr
Ma
mairobertson

Postby esmi73 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:13 pm

Carroll
What an excellent suggestion. There are plenty of us out there that could do with a bit of professional help on occasion. Especially if you are like me researching Smith's. I seem to be hitting a brick wall how many Smith are there out there especially when on the Census you find - William Smith - Born Warwickshire. It is a nightmare!

It would be nice to see the average Joe getting a helping hand rather than the celebs!

Esmi
esmi73

Postby CarpeDiem » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:36 pm

Hiya,

I did get a response to my query from one of the 'experts' and I'm grateful for the time they took reading my query.

I have to be honest though and say I'm no further on now than I was.

Seemed a good idea at the time (lol)

Carrol
CarpeDiem

Return to Genealogy chat