Moderator Control Panel ]

owens family blaenavon 1861, how to search?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

owens family blaenavon 1861, how to search?

Postby nenchad04 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:10 am

I am trying to find Owen Owens, his wife Angelina and son Charles in the 1861 census.

I know Owen was born around 1812 possibly in Anglesea, Angelina abt 1820 dudley and son Charles 1851 in the monmouthshire area (awaiting birth cert)
Owen and angelina married in Llangatock 1846 (also awaiting cert) I have a 51 wales census of owen, angelina, charles and lodger richard owens living at 244 shop row, tredegar, bedwellty, owen is a founder at ironworks. And i have death certificates of owen and angelina for 1868 cause of death for both is pthsisis. unfortunately I can't find any of them in any 61 census either together or separately.

I have tried searching with spelling variations and other names they could be mistaken for.

Can anyone tell me how to do a search on ancestry of just a particular area without inputting a name. (I have tried but it just seems to be giving me any area in monmouthshire, possibly because of bounday/parish changes and I end up with thousands upon thousands of names).

Any tips are gratefully received, thank you
nerys
nenchad04

Re: owens family blaenavon 1861, how to search?

Postby callbrian » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:20 am

Hi Nerys,
I have also failed to find them in 1861. I have used 'the genealogist' address finder in 1861 checking shop row. The number of addresses changes dramatically from 1851 to 1861, whether the address changed or there are missing pages, I can't say. There are no Owen or Owens.
Have you tried contacting Monmouth family history, http://www.monfh.org.uk/
If you haven't already done so, you could try 'Rootschat' on http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=129.0
Good Luck
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby nenchad04 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:35 pm

Thank you, I havent tried those sites yet. I am planning a trip to the heritage centre in gwent at some point.

I thought for the time being I could just trawl through the census records for the general area but I've no idea how to narrow it down to just tredegar in ancestry's site, in case the names have been transcribed incorrectly. It's happened before, I'd been looking for a jesse and he was transcribed as dufocy !!!! luckily someone on here found him for me, presumably using just the area. Each time I try to search just tredegar I end up with pretty much all of south wales, i've no idea how to do it.

thanks nerys
nenchad04

Postby ColinB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:50 pm

Put the place name in the Lived in Location box and select restrict to exact from the drop down. This should work but there are lots of complaints on ancestry boards about new search functions not working correctly now that old search has been turned off.

Colin
ColinB

Postby coopernicola » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Once you get to a sheet for Bedwelty (it doesn't matter what name you search under) you can go to the grey task bar on the original document screen. This brings you a menu of the enumeration districts. By checking these you can pick out individual villages or areas of towns.
e.g. Monmothshire>Bedwelty>Tredegar>District1

Nicola

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
coopernicola

Postby coopernicola » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:21 am

Have found Shop Row in District 2. Looking through the sheets there is no sign of Owen, Angelina & Charles, nor indeed any 'Owens'. I think the whole of Shop Row is included as it's in the middle of the set.

Nicola

coopernicola

Postby nenchad04 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:54 pm

Thank you Nicola, and thanks for having a look. I can't think of what might have happened to them inbetween 51 and the parents death in 68! A few other researchers have also included another child called melvina but have not added any sources, records or proof etc. Even so, I've found no evidence of her either in any census. ive even checked england and ireland for them to no avail.

Very mysterious !!!

thanks again
nerys
nenchad04

Postby coopernicola » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:38 pm

Hello Nerys

It's frustrating when ancestors seem to disappear. In this case it could be due to illness, as you probably know phthisis (given as cause of death for both Owen & Angelina) is likely to be due to TB. Perhaps they had moved for medical care, although it's odd Charles is also missing.

Perhaps someone else may find a clue?

Regards Nicola

coopernicola

Postby coopernicola » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:54 pm

I don't believe it, I just went back into Ancestry, put Angelina Owens in the search without a place of birth and I think I've found them! Living at 6 Lee Street, Chorlton on Medlock, Lancashire. I must admit I had only searched in the Wales Census.
Oddly Angelina is listed as: Ann Angelina Lucia b 1812, Gibraltar, Spain. Owen is listed as a House Painter and the girls both cotton weavers.
There are now quite a few children, some of whom should have been on earlier census??? But no sign of Charles
Lucy Ann 18
Louisa 15
William Henry 13
Alfred Pridore 10
Thomas Walter 7

Perhaps this is them - the family group is also listed in 1851 in Manchester, curiouser & curiouser!

Nicola

coopernicola

Postby nenchad04 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:28 pm

I have seen that angelina on the census' before. I don't think it's her, there are a few other researchers have her and seem to have her further on in her life and a different marriage. I will check into her though and see if I can rule her out if nothing else. I'm expecting the marriage certificate in the next few days, so im hoping having a fathers name for Owen might help a little, could possibly be with him. I believe around that time that tb was rife in that area so they may have gone to escape it. Both death certs cause of death says phthisis certified 12 months so I'm assuming that meant they were treated for the illness for a year, and possibly suffered with it for longer. I'll let you know when it turns up.

That was a great tip by the way about the census'. I never knew that could be done. I did have a look at region 2, shop row seems very short, on the 51 one there are hundreds of houses. they lived at 244. As you say though, it doesn't look like there is any missing. I went through the other regions in case it was spit into groups, but it seems not. I'm going to check the records for anglesey in that way too as it seems owen was born there.

thanks again
nenchad04

Next

Return to General research queries