Moderator Control Panel ]

Best WDYTYA? moments

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Re: Best WDYTYA? moments

Postby Sylcec » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:50 am

David Dickinson exploring his roots in old Istanbul.

I also loved Alexander McGowan's episode - remember him meeting his very obviously Anglo-Indian uncle in Calcutta, who vehemently denied having any Indian blood!!

Amanda Redman was another favourite early episode, particularly the tracking down of the story of an abandoned illegitimate boy of ?her grandmother (if I remember correctly).

Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Editor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks for this Sylvia. We're working on the list this week so if anybody has got any other suggestions for favourite WDYTYA moments, please add them now.

Thanks

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Best WDYTYA? moments

Postby ry44 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Jeremy clarkson episode was good as well as the john bishop and gary lineker episode
ry44

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Agree with all the above. But how about the shocking discovery that Alex Cumming made in Malaysia re Russian Roulette.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby Editor » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:34 am

Yes, that was a good one. We had such difficulty gathering together (and agreeing on) best moments that we have ended up having to go for 'favourite episode' instead. You can vote now and win a day at The National Archives with Laura Berry, the lead genealogist at Who Do You Think You Are? as well as a 12-month World subscription to findmypast.

Here's the link for those who fancy entering:

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine. ... ompetition

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby phsvm » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:51 pm

An old post so maybe too late to contribute but the bit where Bruce Forsyth visited his relative's grave and discovered it was unmarked.

Also agree, Larry Lamb's episode.

No to Gary Lineker and Alan Carr - two very disappointing episodes.
phsvm

Postby Victor Nutt » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:13 pm

Later still, but there you go.

We are all 'Children of God' but being able to 'prove' it is another matter. That's what made Matthew Pinsent's episode so memorable for me.

Victor
Victor Nutt

Postby Bevmawer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:47 am

Martin shaw seeing a pic of his grandfather for the first time. Having been in in that place 10 yrs earlier it brought that emotional time back for me bx

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Bevmawer

Postby MysticDave » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:12 pm

I would second Alistair McGowan, as I have had a similar discovery to the Irish end of his. Turns out my mother was an English Elliott and nothing to do with the famous Border Reiver family.

Also interested in the David Suchet episode, where he reaches the graveyard of the old Lithuanian Jewish family he comes from - standing outside knowing there were no records to trace was a metaphor for many of us doing family research!
MysticDave

Postby Gilly72 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:16 pm

As my favourite ones have already been mentioned above, I would say Jeremy Clarkson larking around trying to get into the car park! Then running around a graveyard ('Clarkson Landfill'), before meeting a dog called Colin!! Then discovering his dislike of environmentalism is probably more deep-seated then he had first thought ('here goes hundreds of jobs, but never mind look at these nice Yew trees)!! Just once in a while you need a light-hearted approach to family history!!! :lol:
Gilly72

Previous

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat