Moderator Control Panel ]

WW2 Regiment movement advice

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW2 Regiment movement advice

Postby Melanie112 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to all this so could do with some advice on how to locate a regiments movements, if this is even possible!

I requested and have now received mum my Grandads Army Service records (William George Richard Jupp) but trying to research any information on where these regiments actually were or what they did online is proving to be harder than i first thought.

I have been trying to locate any information on the '105th LT AA Regiment (xii)' in North Africa from 22/12/1942 to 29/05/1944 and then the '1/4 Essex Regiment' in Italy from 01/09/1944 to 15/07/1946.

So far i have only managed to figure out that the 105th may have been part of the 1st Army & the Essex regiment may have been part of the 8th Army. But to be honest searches on this info has not proved very fruitful either.

My mum can only remember 2 things from speaking with my Grandad when she was a younger, the first is that he spoke of being alongside a Gurkha regiment at some point, the second is that he was in Italy when mount Vesuvius erupted and had to hide under a Land Rover. Not much to go on i know!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Melanie112

Postby coopernicola » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:32 pm

Not much help on the military front but Mount Vesuvius last major eruption was March 1944. It may help pin down the time period for you.

Nicola

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
coopernicola

Re: WW2 Regiment movement advice

Postby g w aldous » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:00 am

the 101 LT AA Regt had been put into the 40th Lt AA Regt by 1942, they I believe moved from N Ireland to N africa and were part of 30 Corp at the battle of El Alamein, their weapons were 48 bofors light AA guns (pom poms). 30 Corp went on to be famous as the troops that didn't quite make it to Arnhem Bridge it was just too far.
1/4 Essex were also 30 Corp as were 1/2 Gurkha Rifles.
Not sure about Italy as I havn't researched will let you know if I find anything more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XXX_Corps_(United_Kingdom)
have a look at this.
g w aldous

Re: WW2 Regiment movement advice

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:11 am

Not an area I've had personal experience of, but if you can get to Kew, then war diaries (of the units) seem to be a/v there.

See http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-subject/secondworldwar.htm for the TNA Guide on this.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help