Moderator Control Panel ]

John Higginson 2nd Dragoon Guards?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

John Higginson 2nd Dragoon Guards?

Postby Dene Fisher » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:57 pm

I have a potential relative named John Higginson who married Sophia Gladwell at Manchester, St Mary, St Denys and St George on 26th September 1826. The attached shows that he was a private in the 2nd Dragoon Guards? - I'm not entirely sure that this man is the one I'm looking for, is there anyway I can locate a military record for him that might confirm his place of birth, parentage etc?
The John I'm looking for was born around 1794 in Bolton Lancashire, amongst his brothers was one called William - the witness at his marriage? John & Sophia had a son named William who had two sons called Hilton & Lever, two other brothers of John so there is strong circumstantial evidence for this man to be my relative but I can't confidently tie him to the parents I know to be John & Ann Higginson from Bolton
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (54.48 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
Dene Fisher

Re: John Higginson 2nd Dragoon Guards?

Postby ksouthall » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:33 am

If he was in the Dragoon Guards, there may be an army pension or discharge record for him. These are held at the National Archives and some are also available via FindMyPast. I think the record series are WO97 and WO121.

He may also have served at Waterloo. If so, he may appear in the Waterloo Medal Roll which can also be found at TNA and either on Ancestry or FindMyPast. I can't remember which.

I hope this gives some ideas of where to start looking.
ksouthall

Re: John Higginson 2nd Dragoon Guards?

Postby Dene Fisher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks for the info, after more research I'm pretty sure that this 'John' is not the right one but I'm sure your advice will come in useful in the future.
Thanks again
Dene
Dene Fisher

Return to Military help