Moderator Control Panel ]

Who is this Canadian Woodward relative from the 1950s?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Who is this Canadian Woodward relative from the 1950s?

Postby joannelovesbooks » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:12 am

Dear forum members

Older member of my family recall that, at the 80th birthday party of my great grandmother, Louisa Humphrey, nee Woodward, in Manchester in 1958, a couple of Canadian guests were present. They all seem to think the guests were from Great Grandma's side - the Woodwards, originally from East Ham, Essex.

We have no further ideas as to who the visitors were, except that a short time later, Louisa's eldest son William and his wife Elizabeth visited Canada and stayed with these relatives. They returned from their trip with the attached photograph of the two of them with a young Canadian relative, shown here in uniform. Since I believe this young man to be a possible son or grandson of a Herbert Woodward who may have emigrated to Canada in 1891, if someone could point me in the direction of a regiment to which this uniform is connected I might have some luck in putting the pieces together.

Can anyone please tell me anything about the uniform this man is wearing, or does anyone have connections with a family of Woodwards from the Essex area who have been in Canada since the 1890s?

Many thanks
Joanne
Attachments
image.jpg
Photograph of William Humphrey and Elizabeth (nee Ashton) with a Canadian relative around 1960
image.jpg (118.27 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
joannelovesbooks

Re: Who is this Canadian Woodward relative from the 1950s?

Postby jeffward » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:35 pm

He is wearing the uniform of the Royal Canadian Air Force,but he does not appear to be aircrew otherwise he would have the appropriate badge above his left breast pocket. Regards Jeff Ward.
jeffward

Re: Who is this Canadian Woodward relative from the 1950s?

Postby joannelovesbooks » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:08 am

Hi Jeff

Thank you for the information. With that I can now begin to search for Royal Canadian AF records for a Woodward, which is as good a place to begin as any.

Best regards
Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Return to Photo identification