Moderator Control Panel ]

year? occupation? anything?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

year? occupation? anything?

Postby nenchad04 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:01 am

I have recently found this photograph but no one can work out who what and where.

The man in the foreground I believe is a relative of my father (looks unbelievably like him) there are 2 people it could be....

william benyon b 1874 in sealand, flintshire. employment in 1911 census is coal miner (underground) or his son henry born 1915 and william on his right shoulder. (an aunt suggested it was he)

It is in very poor condition but I feel his clothing suggests a miner, however I cannot explain why there would be men in lab coats in the picture with him.

Does anyone have a clue of a year it could have been taken, the occupations of any of them, the possible age of the main 2, or anything that might give me a clue to who they are?

thanks in anticipation!
nerys
Attachments
william benyon.jpg
william benyon.jpg (34.69 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
nenchad04

Re: year? occupation? anything?

Postby ritah » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Hello Nerys
I don't think these people are involved with mining. The young man at the front who is obviously the main subject of the photo is wearing overalls, jacket and tie which he is unlikely to have worn even to travel to a mining job. What about if he was a delivery boy and the man behind him, who looks quite proprietorial, is his foreman. The people in white coats, one a lady left hand side, could be assistants in a shop such as a dairy or grocers, they certainly wore white coats to serve behind the counter in such establishments, possibly 1920's/30's but that is very much a guess.
By the way I love the young man poking his head in at the back, he has such a cheeky look on his face!
I hope this is food for thought if nothing more concrete.
Good luck with your search
Rita
ritah

Postby nenchad04 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:56 pm

thank you Rita,

I'm really not sure what is going on here. The man at the front is a dead ringer for my dad, but It's definately not him. An aunt suggested it could have been their dads brother, but I thought the picture was too old. I don't think he looks like a youngster. I found it amongst my dads things but neither he or my mum are with us to quiz him about it. I can't find any occupations in my family tree that it could sit with. I thought he may have been a pilot, at first glance I thought he could be wearing a bomber jacket type thing, but i took it to my local war museum who suggested the mining occupation. I can't work out what is either hanging around his neck or a pullover/vest type thing.

I always thought the cheeky chap peeping over the shoulder looked like nick knowles from diy sos !!!

Thanks, I will keep digging

nerys
nenchad04

Postby ritah » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:01 pm

Yes you're right, it does look like Nick Knowles! Perhaps that's another avenue to explore sometime. Good luck.
Rita
ritah

Return to Photo identification