Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users
Post a reply

regimental uniform, cheshire regiment?

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:49 pm

This is my grandfather Charles Chadwick 1908-1974. I know he joined the Cheshire regiment around 1926 and served in India where he was injured and operated on. I can't figure out why he is wearing a kilt though. Can anyone shed some light on this please?

thank you
nerys
Attachments
grandad chad.jpg
grandad chad.jpg (41.01 KiB) Viewed 2256 times

Re: regimental uniform, cheshire regiment?

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:39 am

This is a WW1 Black Watch highlanders uniform. So is probably not your Grandfather. maybe his father or an older brother.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:03 pm

thank you for the advice on the regiment. It is definately my grandfather as his daughter (my aunt) gave me the picture.There are very few photographs of him and she cherished this one.

None of his brothers were old enough to serve in the great war and his father wasnt a military man. His uncles were killed in action in 1914 and 1915 but I have pictures of them and it is definately not them. I do know that his family served in either the cheshires or the royal welsh fusiliers so I am now stumped as to why he would be wearing this at all?

thank you
nerys

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:00 am

nerys,
he would have been to young aswell if you are certain that it is him then he must have been joined into the blackwatch first then transferred into the cheshires, as his service is post 1920 his records will be held in the MOD archive you can ask for a copy but there are charges.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:04 pm

Thank you G W Aldous I shall contact the MOD for his records, as the only information I have on his military career is as ive previously said, joined cheshires 1926ish, served in India and was injured and operated on there. I have been told that there was complications caused by the operation and his stomach was "put back in wrong" ! I don't know what they meant by this. I've no idea what part, if any, he played in the 2nd world war.

This maybe a stupid question but could this uniform have been given to him from an uncle? I don't know if he was the only one of his brothers to enlist but they all lived to the 60's 70's and 80's, so maybe as a military man the family allowed him to be photgraphed in the uniform. I have heard no stories of uncle so and so fighting at such and such. The picture appears to be outside of a tent but this could have been staged.

thank you
nerys

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:46 pm

nenchad04 wrote:The picture appears to be outside of a tent but this could have been staged

You may have something there... It seems to me like I can see planks at the bottom of the photo. Surely it would be difficult to put tent pegs into planks? Which suggests it might just be a set, with a borrowed uniform, either from the photographer or someone else.

Incidentally, there are badges on his collar and I always thought that was an indicator of a post-1918 uniform. (I'm not suggesting it's much later, though...)

Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:02 pm

Thank you adrian B38,

I'm beginning to think he went to a photographer for this picture, although I don't know why he wouldn't use his own uniform, unless it was before he joined up.

I have looked into the mod website for his records. It all looks quite complicated!

nerys
Post a reply