Moderator Control Panel ]

What does ARS stand for?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

What does ARS stand for?

Postby phsvm » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:28 pm

I have a medal card which states the individual's regiment was A.R.S.

For the life of me I can't think what this stands for. Can anyone help me please?
phsvm

Re: What does ARS stand for?

Postby junkers » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:42 pm

What date/war is this?.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:39 am

Suggest you give us the name and number, then those of us who want to can contemplate what it says.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby vnolan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:53 am

How about aerial reconnaissance & surveillance?

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
vnolan

Postby brunes08 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:10 pm

I looked at the site the Long, Long Trail on 1914-1918.net. I found a section on abbreviations. ARS is short for Advanced Regulating Station. If you go to that site you may well be able to find out what the role was of that particular station. Good hunting.
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:04 pm

brunes08 wrote:ARS is short for Advanced Regulating Station.

Don't ever assume an abbreviation list is complete. ARS also means "Automatic Route Setting" but since that's an abbreviation in railway signalling, it's unlikely to be that, even though we don't yet know the context.

We need to know what collection we are talking about - WW1 British Army Medal Index Cards? The corresponding rolls for the Royal Navy? And, as I said before, it would be nice to know the details of the card in question so we can see for ourselves.

Now, having said all that... If I look at the WW1 British Army Medal Index Cards (and it may not be the correct stuff) and do any enquiry to list people with a regiment of ARS, there are a number.

There are entries for the "ARS Highrs" or something like - when you look at the card itself, it's clearly(?) "A&S Highrs" - in other words "Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders" indexed incorrectly.

There are entries for "ASC ARS" and this gives what may be a clue. If you look up the Army Service Corps, you will find that part of it was the Army Remounts Service.

I also saw "ARS" on its own - now some of these may really be "A&S", i.e. the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, and some may be the Army Remounts Service. And some may be something else again. The example I saw of ARS on its own had reference to a Medal Roll for the ASC, so would be, so far as anyone could guess, the Army Remounts Service. Again, we would need to look at the MIC itself to make a decent guess.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby phsvm » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:09 pm

And i thought this was such a simple question! LOL.

The person in question is Lieut Leonard Ambrose Cundell b. 1879, Wiltshire.

He was on active service in WW1 but only in 1918. I can't read the theatre of war either. I think it says Egypt but if anyone can make a better (educated) guess I'd be very grateful.

At 40 he was quite old to be serving as well, wasn't he?
phsvm

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:48 pm

phsvm wrote:And i thought this was such a simple question! LOL.

Nah - you knew better than that! ;)

OK - now we have the details (for which, thanks), the "British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920" on Ancestry has "ARS" under the corps and further down, next to the Roll and Page, we see "Remount Serv" - so he's in the Army Remount Service, part of the Army Service Corps. See http://www.1914-1918.net/ASC_Remounts.html for some details of the ARS.

The Medal index Card shows: Lieutenant Leonard Ambrose Cundell of Chilton(?), Steventon, Berks, formerly in the ARS, applied for his medals 14 August 1921. (Other Ranks got sent their medals automatically - officers had to apply for their campaign medals.) He first entered a theatre of war on 19 March 1918, when he entered the Egyptian theatre - not quite sure how much of the Middle East that theatre covered. As he entered that theatre after the end of 1915, he was entitled to the Victory and British War Medals. The rest, I think, are filing references. The Medal Roll itself might tell you more about his assignment in the Middle East, such as the identity of the company or base. Or it might not.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby phsvm » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Many thanks for directing me to the right place.

Yes, it is Chilton - the village whose war dead and those who came back I'm reseaching for part of our WW1 commemorations.

I thought it was Egypt so I'm glad you agree with me on that one.
phsvm

Return to Military help