Moderator Control Panel ]

WWII flyer

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

WWII flyer

Postby mygenes » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:53 am

My grandfather, Thomas Leonard Baker, born 1920 in Blaenavon, Wales, served in the 5th Huntingdonshire Battalion, the Northamptonshire Regiment during WWII, and received the Military Medal. This German language flyer was found amongst his possessions, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a translation. I have absolutely no idea what it says. I would also like to know where/when it would have come into his possession.
I am also interested in any information regarding the 5th Huntingdonshire Battalion and/or the Northamptonshire Regiment.
The attached image is the front of the flyer only - although I do have a scanned image of the reverse which includes a map.

[image]local://243/A3D666B7FFFE4A44B9247BDF0405E182.jpg[/image]
mygenes

RE: WWII flyer

Postby Timon Singh » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:30 pm

Dear mygenes,

We've all had a look at this in the office and one of our number happens to be fluent in German!

It's an Allied propaganda leaflet that was probably dropped on German positions by plane.

It's titled: "RETREAT OR COLLAPSE? THE TRUTH ABOUT THE CATASTROPHE IN THE SOUTH" and details the defeats that the German army has suffered in Italy and how many men have been taken prisoner.

It basically tells the German soldiers who would have read it that by sacrificing their lives, they're not helping their families and the 15,000 German POWs will see their families sooner than they will.

It's fascinating reading, I can only assume your father must have served in or around Italy during the war.
Online Assistance Available
Timon Singh

Postby mygenes » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:03 pm

That's great. Thank you. It's amazing to think my grandfather picked it up and kept it all those years. It's in remarkably good condition. You are right about Italy, as I have also found a very old typed book with maps detailing The 5th Battalion the Northamptonshire Regiment in Italy. It covers September 1943 to May 1945, with details of movements, nominal rolls of officers, details of "mules and their loads" including ammunition and rations, a list of significant dates from 1940 to 1945 and what the battalion was doing or had achieved, and a list of casualties and honours. In the back it says the author (Captain Ian A McKee) was assisted by members of the Battalion Orderly Room Staff and Intelligence Section in the German Cavalry Corps Mobile Printing Press at Tamsweg, Treffling and OberVellach, Austria in June and July 1945.

Thanks again for you help with the leaflet.

mygenes [:D]
mygenes

Postby Editor » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:43 pm

Bring a picture of your family heirloom to our stand at WDYTYA? LIVE at Olympia on Friday 2 May and book an appointment with our antiques and jewellery expert Martyn Downer who will be on hand to give free advice about your family treasures.
Editor
Site Admin

Postby photographwit.com » Wed May 07, 2008 10:06 pm

I'm afraid I can't help you with the translation - not my forte! BUT! I can help with preserving this treasure.
We could re-create this by removing visual damage. You obviously have a scanner, and for the purpose of showing the item here have scanned it in. I can see from the small thumbnail that it is slightly damaged, and in scanning it you can see the reverse (ie map side) through the scan.

This is where we can help. Something so precious can't really be duplicated, but why not keep your original safe and in it's present condition? and let us "recreate" this. This would basically involve re-scanning it (which you can evidently do!), you could even send us the digital image to save parting with it! We would then clean it up/remove any stains & damage (ie sun damage/fade/ the print showing through ETC! ..

We can then re-print, bigger/smaller/same size?!, and send you on CD! Let us maintain its glory!!! ... go to [8|]

www.photographwit.com
www.photographwit.com
photographwit.com

Return to Photo identification