Moderator Control Panel ]

1890's Worcester military uniform?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: 1890's Worcester military uniform?

Postby g w aldous » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:51 am

I have 2 relatives who are on censuses twice, one was a aglab who was away at a farm and also at home 5 miles away, the other was a boy soldier at barracks and also at home 300 miles away, Both of them caused me a lot of problems trying to establish if they were infact the same people.
g w aldous

Postby bramleyapple » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks GW Aldous for the tip - I shall bear it in mind when researching other aspects of my family tree. Alas, on this occasion there are no appropriate Smiths or Deakins listed at Norton Barracks in the 1891 census, let alone Thomas Deakin, in particular.

My first strand of enquiry remains trying to establish whether the relative is listed in any army regiment. I understand National Archives have militia listings for individuals, but unfortunately, I can't get there and there is no internet availability for this database. I've not managed to find Worcestershire attestations, nor have I managed to find a free army list available on the internet for 1890-92.

My second strand is to identify the uniform. The apparent tower emblem appears to point to Worcester regiments,which is consistent with the likely home of the subject and the address of the studio. However, I have not found anything to contradict the suggestion that the number 6 refers to the battalion number, which wasn't adopted until 1900 and therefore does not tie up with the known photograph date. I posted on the Worcestershire Regiment forum, but was not allowed a photographic attachment. My verbal description has predictably met with no response. Consequently, I have contacted the board administrator for permission and guidance - a reply is awaited.

So not much more progress really. Obviously, I would be grateful for anyone's further advice or guidance on current or other lines of enquiry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
bramleyapple

Postby Hammerjock » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Hi,
Whilst looking for some of my relatives I came across a Thomas deakin (born in Dudley), not sure if he is your relative?
Joined the Worcester regt 5th batt and then transferred to Royal Warwickshire regt 6th batt? Any use? Cheers

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Hammerjock

Postby bramleyapple » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks again hammerjock. Janey H also suggested I check Warwickshire regiments. When I learnt their emblem was an antelope, I put this on hold. My Deakins originate from Staffordshire shoe makers. Thomas Deakin lived in Worcester at the time of the photograph, but was born in Stone. I know there were a goodly number of Deakins around in the midlands. At present I am awaiting the result of someone from the Worcestershire Regiments kind offer to have a look at the photo. Then I will review possible further research and post any developments. Thanks to all who have offered guidance and suggestions so far, as this photo has been a mystery for many years.

bramleyapple

Postby bramleyapple » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:36 pm

The very helpful man at the Worcestershire regiment site says the uniform definitely doesn't match up with Worcester regiment or indeed any British regiment or militia that he can identify. The crown above the chevrons suggests a Colour Sergeant. In relation to the cap badge, he does not rule out the many and various Volunteer Forces. The number 6 on the collar could be a battalion number, but also possibly a police district. The possible crossed feathers below the chevrons on his arm may indicate a trainer or instructor of some sort. He thinks it may not be a military uniform, though could possible relate to the police, s BBB and or railway etc.

This

bramleyapple

Postby bramleyapple » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:42 pm

Pressed the reply button in error!!!.....:

....This goes someway to explaining my difficulty in tying up any military connections. In view of his age I wonder whether the possible bugle with a band round it maybe a more fruitful, if less well documented route. I had previously taken a cursory look at police uniforms for that period without revealing anything obvious. I will widen my search in the directions he suggested and post an TT developments.

bramleyapple

Postby g w aldous » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:45 am

I found this,
http://www.warwicks.com.au/images/produ ... 0crown.jpg

it looks similar to the hat he has on.
g w aldous

Postby bramleyapple » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Thanks g w Aldous - I wonder if you can identify the hat.

I'm currently looking again at police uniforms, though I think the sitter might have been a bit old for service.

I'm also researching salvation army, as he was older, appeared to be part-time and possibly had a musical emblem on his sleeve. I'm looking for a uniform of that time. I understand men tended to wear a variety of discarded or recycled hats with their uniform until around this time, so this may complicate my research

bramleyapple

Postby bramleyapple » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks Jaykayare. I don't think the waters could be muddied much more! I am going back to the drawing board though. Indeed, it is a job to get a detailed view on the images.

Whilst in Bath, I did take the photo to the national postal museum and their expert said he didn't recognize it and thought it very unlikely to be a member of the postal service.

It seems reasonable to think that the collar number is of some elusive significance though. I think for the Worcestershire police at that time the number 1 district was Worcester and number 6 was Northfield, just south of Birmingham, so this seems unlikely for my probable sitter.

If they were sheaves on the sleeve, I've no idea where that would lead me. Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

bramleyapple

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Hmm... Personally I'm still clinging to the statement that "he does not rule out the many and various Volunteer Forces". Naturally I can't find a photo the same as your chap but I'm looking at a photo from the 1860s of a member of the Berkshire Rifle Volunteer Corps and he's got a cap not dissimilar (referred to in his case as a shako). (The Volunteers and Militia were the two components of the part-time Army at that time.)

The very fact that he's got sergeant's stripes seems to rule out things like a Brass Band, and I don't think I've ever seen the Sally Army with sergeants??? Ditto postmen?

Best of luck!
Adrian
AdrianB38

PreviousNext

Return to Military help