Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users
Post a reply

Does anyone recognise this (school?) uniform

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:02 am

1-1-IMAGE10.jpg
1-1-IMAGE10.jpg (221.74 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
This photo includes my Grandfather and possibly two of his brothers. They were all in Barnardo's at one time and I wonder if this could be a Barnardo's uniform. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Re: Does anyone recognise this (school?) uniform

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:24 am

No it is not a school uniform but Hospital Blues, this was worn by soldiers in Hospital Blue jacket and trousers with White Facings. Looks WW1 soldier in center wearing a Scots General Service Cap.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:15 am

Thank you very much for that info. That makes sense as my grandfather was gassed in WW1, he was with the Canadian army, invalided back to Canada first (1918) and then came home in 1919. This photo must have been after he came home so he must have been in hospital here too (unless they had the hospital uniforms in Canada). That does mean it isn't his brothers as they were both killed during the war, so your answer has saved me trying to fathom out their identities! They look very cheerful for hospital patients! Thanks again. Gill

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:30 pm

is any of them your relative ?
Not sure about Hosp Blues in canada but they are commonwealth forces.
his brothers may have been wounded and then sent back to the front so don't completely discount it.
the 2 on the left look similar.
there were a lot of scots regts in the canadian forces do you know what he/they were in.
he could have been at Passchendale there is a monument at vancouver corner to the canadian forces.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Thank you for your interest in this. My Grandfather is the one on the right. He was with the 18th battalion (A coy) of the Canadian army. He was sent to Canada with Barnardo's in 1910 when he was 11 and he joined up when he was 17 1/2. He was gassed in June or July 1918 just before he was 20. My mother thought it was at Vimy Ridge but I'm not sure that's right. He went back to a sanitorium in Canada (Ontario) then returned to England the following year. His brother Harry (2 years older) was killed at Vimy Ridge in October 1918 so he can't be in the photo. Their older brother was also a Barnardo's boy but wasn't sent to Canada, he went to Watts Naval School, joined the navy & was killed in a training accident in 1916, aged 22, a month after he was married. My Grandfather was lucky really, although he came home with only 1/2 a lung working, he lived until he was 80 and received a Canadian war pension all his life. The photo is on a postcard, addressed to the husband of their sister. It was taken by Geo Graham, Studio, Waterloo Road Epsom. You're right, though they do look alike. Since I read your message I've seen similar photos on various websites, some with almost identical poses. Thanks again, Gill

Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:48 pm

I think she is right with vimy ridge I have been there aswell, I remember the guide saying about the 4 canadian divisions being gassed in one attack and there being a huge loss of life, One of my previous duties with the military was doing battlefield tours so interesting yet so thought provoking that we really do have it easy.
Good luck with your research it is always rewarding.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:28 am

These are some of the military uniforms and earlier these type of uniforms were worn in the schools. That is why some people thinks that it is a school uniform.
Post a reply