Moderator Control Panel ]

Which regiment was William with?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Which regiment was William with?

Postby phsvm » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:00 pm

I am trying to work out the military service record for William Richdale Mainwaring, b. Burton on Trent 1885.

I have found him on the 1901 census at 36/64 Regiment stationed at Whittington, Staffordshire. Which regiment is this?

I can't find him on the 1911 census or any other military information for him.

Can anyone have better luck than me? Thanks.
phsvm

Re: Which regiment was William with?

Postby ColinB » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Looking at the front page of the book , it actually says 38/64 Regimental Depot. 38th is South Staffs regiment and 64th North Staffs. There's a service record for a William Mainwaring , North Staffs . Regt, b 1884 Stapenhill , Burton on Trent. He enlisted 14 Nov 1900 in Lichfield and was discharged unfit 8 Oct 1902. Does that fit ?

Colin

Father :William & 3 brothers , all serving soldiers : James 1st Lincoln , John 3 Gren. Guards & Alfred S. Staffs.
ColinB

Postby ColinB » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:06 pm

There's a marriage for a William Richdale H Mainwaring to Ada Bertha Lonsdale or Annie Elizabeth Taylor 1909 Chorlton , Lancs Q3 8c 1567. I can find William Mainwaring with Annie and a daughter Hilda on the 1911 census. 37 Annie Street Fulwell Sunderland Durham. Ancestry has him as a ' windon anesser ' - which turns out to be window dresser in the real world !

I presume this is for your Memorial project - hope it's right !

Colin
ColinB

Postby phsvm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:28 pm

Colin B - yes. He's one of my memorial project soldiers. In fact he survived but is one of about 15 listed on a 'Roll of Honour' with the plaque who 'also served'. As we're a small village and everyone seems to be related to everyone else (or was 100 years ago) I've extended my research to include the survivors.

In fact he was one of 7 brothers. 5 are listed on our village 'Roll of Honour' - John, James, Alfred, William and Archie - and one - Harry - is listed on the memorial plaque as he died in 1916 in France.

I've found extensive records for John but been able to find military records for James - all I had was 1911 census he was a police constable in Nottingham.

Alfred appears to be have discharged unfit for service after about 9 months in 1916 (if I've found the correct Alfred Mainwaring).

Harry I have extensive details about (thanks largely to a gentleman on the Great War Forum who has done a huge amount of work on the Royal Berkshire Regiment).

I can't find any records for Corporal Archie Ernest Mainwaring although the forum has been very helpful in tracing him to Canada after the war so if anyone can find any records of which regiment he served with I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks for the details about William. I find it strange that he's listed in a village church in South Oxfordshire if he was based in Sunderland. I'm sure it's the correct William in the North East - I can't believe there can be more than one William Mainwaring with the middle name Richdale (mother's maiden name). If he was invalided out in 1902 he must have been well enough to re-enlist for WW1 otherwise I can't imagine why he'd be on the Roll of Honour. How did you find the information about his discharge? The 7th brother Samuel (b. 1888, Burton on Trent) doesn't appear to be anywhere. I can't find him after the 1901 census.
phsvm

Postby ColinB » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:45 pm

I found the information on his discharge in his service papers on FMP. The record has been indexed as : William Mainwaring b 1884 Burton on Trent Of North Staffordshire Regiment . I'm not sure about the squiggle in front of North Staffordshire , but I don't think it says Of ! He had actually signed up for Long Service ( 12 years ) and was a boy musician , remaining at home during his service. He was only 5 foot tall with a chest measurement of 30 inches so perhaps didn't measure up physically whereas as a mature man , years later , he must have been able to pass the physical exam.

Colin
ColinB

Postby coopernicola » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:55 pm

Having just seen episode two of the Great War series on the BBC perhaps he enlisted in a battalion for men under 5'3". Apparently this was possible later in the war as more men were needed!

Nicola

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
coopernicola

Postby phsvm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:47 pm

ColinB - many thanks. Have found him.

Nicola - many thanks as well. I'd never heard of this so will investigate.
phsvm

Return to Military help