Moderator Control Panel ]

1911 census sex change

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

1911 census sex change

Postby janiej » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:34 am

I found a person in Find My Past 1911 records but the same search showed nothing in Ancestry. I stripped the search form back to first name and location only but still nothing. There was only one thing that I had not changed so I changed the sex to female, and there HE was! I've since done this with 4 other records and found the same. They are all in Suffolk so I'm not sure if other records are affected or whether it was one batch.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
janiej

Re: 1911 census sex change

Postby jir87 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:46 pm

I too have had this problem and it seems to be fairly extensive. It seems to have shown up at some time after the 1911 census made its appearance on Ancestry, or maybe the people I was tracing at first were indexed correctly. I have actually brought this up with Ancestry on a number of occasions, though with no response whatsoever.

It does cause no end of problems if you are attaching the record to a family tree, as the father is identified as the children's mother, and this can cause chaos on your family tree. The only solution I have found when coming across these records is to attach family members individually one at a time, which is obviously a time-consuming process.

I do not think that this problem affects just records in Suffolk, as my records are mainly in Wiltshire, though I have come across this error all over the country.

It might be an idea for you to contact Ancestry regarding this - you may have more success than I have had. Good luck!
jir87

Postby Sylcec » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:32 pm

Interesting! Yes, I have found that Ancestry appears to give a search priority to the gender of the person being sought, and doesn't find folk for whom a different sex is applied. The answer is probably to NOT define whether male or female.
Sylcec

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Trying to think about what the enquiry looks like.... Almost certainly, specifying male or female adds to the time taken to do the enquiry as if you are looking for "John Smith", you will have a list of people with that name, so checking each for M/F is a waste of time. The difference will be imperceptible, of course, unless someone is indexed incorrectly. Searching on non-gender-specific names is another matter, of course.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Genealogy chat