Moderator Control Panel ]

Walter C herbert known as Clinton

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Walter C herbert known as Clinton

Postby slow going1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Walter C Herbert known as Clinton
Postby slow going1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:41 am

Help needed

Herbert Walter C Coventry 6d 1221

Last letter home dated August 1942 his address was: (excuse me if not exactly correct as was given to me over the telephone)

Rear Party 4925850 MT HQ 11th S STASS S
Usselby Hall
Lincolnshire .

I have done some research and Usselby Hall was used as a German Officer
prison of war camp in the 1939-45 war.

All I know is what I have been told by his cousin that the letter states he would be home in 2 weeks. They were told he went for a swim his clothes were found on the shore and he has not been seen or heard of since.another cousin said he died at Dunkirk, there is no record of his death being registered. I have tried Lincolnshire for death certificate to no avail, he has just disappeared off the face of the earth. Someone must know something. Old News Papers from the area at the time were destroyed in floods so I was kindly informed today as thought they would have mentioned his disappearance in there. thank you
Last edited by slow going1 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
slow going1

Re: Walter C Bower known as Clinton

Postby brunes08 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:52 pm

I had a quick look on Findmypast. There is a Maritime Death listed in 1942 for a HC Bower. It didn't give any more details than that so I do not know if it is relevant to your search. I've run out of credits at the moment so haven't been able to follow it up. If you wish to, you can purchase just a few credits rather than subscribe for a longer period.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Re: Walter C Bower known as Clinton

Postby slow going1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Sorry the address was

Rear Party, 4925850. MT.HQ., 11tr S Staffs, Ussleby Hall Camp, Nr Market Rason, Lincolnshire.
slow going1

Re: Walter C Herbert known as Clinton

Postby slow going1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:05 am

brunes08 wrote:I had a quick look on Findmypast. There is a Maritime Death listed in 1942 for a HC Bower. It didn't give any more details than that so I do not know if it is relevant to your search. I've run out of credits at the moment so haven't been able to follow it up. If you wish to, you can purchase just a few credits rather than subscribe for a longer period.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum

Hi this is not same person thanks for information though omg will get this right soon lol, it's Walter Clinton Herbert that we are looking for his mothers maiden name was Bower sorry for inconvenience
slow going1

Return to Military help